fan noise on waking Mac Pro from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nick_harambee, Oct 5, 2007.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

Hi

I bought a mac pro about a month ago and for the first couple of weeks i had normal fan operation, infact very quiet, but for the last couple of weeks every time i have tried to wake the Mac Pro from sleep I get a very loud fan noise which lasts about a minute (i am reminded of jet aeroplanes when i hear it!). Fan noise is generally also louder, and i am not sure if this is connected with adding more components - RAM and internal hard drives (all Apple Approved). Perhaps the added components can account for the overall louder level of fan noise, but i don't know about the excessive noise on waking from sleep. Does anyone have an idea what might be going on here?

thanks

nick

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Did you install the latest firmware update?

My Mac Pro was really quiet, until I installed the last two firmware updates (which indicated in their summaries that they adjust the fan control).

3. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

have now installed latest firmware and still have the same issue. i have been led to believe on another forum that the fan behaviour i am experiencing is normal, but not sure why it didn't happen at first. the noise is enough to not want to put the mac pro to sleep!

4. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

on reflection, i think it is normal for the fan to run fast for a few seconds, but not for it to start slowly then get louder and louder until it is very loud and then gradually slow down, over say 45 seconds - 1 minute, which is what is happening every time i start up from sleep