Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I got my new 3.06GHz iMac last week. The first had to be returned due to dead pixels on the screen and the guys at the Apple Store exchanged it

The one they exchanged it with however started to make a strange vibration/rattling noise today which appears to be coming from the lower left cornor

I thought it might be the HDD but I don't think it is
The noise comes around every minute or so and then disappears after a few seconds

Is this the GPU fan or is it a normal noise the Mac should make?

Thank you

Edit
It is a fan. I've just shut the Mac down while the noise was active and you could hear it stopping
Is this the GPU then?

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
I received my (refurb) 3.06 imac last week and whilst I occasionally hear the HDD whirr and clunk, thats it.

I've even run a few scripts to heat up the CPU and, although I start to hear the fans a little, they're hardly noticeable.

Maybe try installing something like iStat or iStat menus to see what speed all your fans are running at and whether or not you've got a temperature problem.

Either way, its Apple's problem, not yours.

If they give you any problems, you're still within your 14 day limit and you can easily get your credit card company to cancel the money to Apple.

k86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I was thinking about returning the Mac for a refund. 2 dead pixels came up today and I'm still have the odd fan noise problem

It's a bit rubbish all these problems. This is the second Mac I've had in a week with a problem

All my fans seem to be running fine though. It seems to be the left fan that is causing the odd sounds. Not the GPU or HDD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.