Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
So whats the verdict on fan noise w/ the new MBPs? I swear my original unit was completely silent when the fans were idling at 2k...ever since it was repaired it seemed to have minor muffled noises that would sometimes come and go...and some additional noises thrown in here & there for good measure. That machine was replaced and the new one does it as well.

Now here's the thing, did I just not notice it before? ...are all fans supposed to make a little bit of noise? I was sure my original unit was completely silent but perhaps I just didn't pick up on it. I mean, when the fridge is going I can't hear it but when it shuts off I can most definitely notice it and its a tad annoying. The thing I'm concerned with is, being an audio guy, I have a heightened focus on hearing...and if when I'm working in a quiet environment this will probably drive me nuts.

So is this standard or is it the defect people have been talking about? It does sort of have that playing card in the spokes effect although its not in your face loud or anything like that. Obviously the fans are expected to be noisy when revved up...thats a windy sound; this is different.

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
the playing card sound is definitely a defect. I had it with my first machine, and they were going to replace the fan, but they needed to order them in, so they just replaced the whole machine :cool: Mine does seem to make slightly louder noises than I initially thought it did, but perhaps it's just about sitting position or how much the fans are blocked? Also, it's freezing in my room during the day, so maybe the fans don't run as fast when it's colder outside? I often get my pro out of my bag when I get home and the case is freezing :rolleyes:

Also, surely if you're an audio guy then you're gonna be listening to tracks all the time...loudly :p

Crash1234

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
The fans on my mbp are silent but I DO hear some noise from the hard drive.. I think. Hard drive seems to make more noise than the fans.

bolleee

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2008
The fans on my mbp are silent but I DO hear some noise from the hard drive.. I think. Hard drive seems to make more noise than the fans.

Same for me, I can barely hear the fans but from the hard drive, thats located in the right down corner right?, I hear a little noise. The noise disappears when I put my hand over it... Thats like everything I hear when the fans run at 2000rpm ..

Guti

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
I just went to the dealer with my aluminum MBP. The left fan made quite an anoying noise. Although you could only hear it when it was standing in a silent room I did not accept it. Hopefully they will replace the fan soon!

jonesh

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
Green Bay, WI
My laptop was sent in for service on Friday with a similar issue. Initially, my laptop was completely silent; even when the laptop's fans were running, all I really heard was the rush of faster air from the vent holes in the back. After a few weeks, though, I began to notice that the left fan was starting to become louder and louder, but the speed of it evenly matched that of the silent right fan. Being able to deal with /that/ was easy, but about one week later, the fan became noticeably louder and only progressed until finally it sounded like a clicking engine of doom! I demonstrated this to our local Apple repair shop and was issued a work order that day. On Monday, they ordered a new fan chassis for both the left and right fans. I called this afternoon to inquire on the progress of the repair and I was told that I should hopefully have the laptop in my hands tomorrow afternoon because of a shipping delay. They mentioned that the parts they needed were under unusual demand. Perhaps this problem is much more widespread than I initially thought?

Once I get my machine back, I'll post back here with an update. Perhaps you should have your fans checked out by your local reseller as well?

Cheers!

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
So those w/ this problem, is it all the time or sporadically? Loud?

Those who think its the HD making noise whats that sound like at your end? If your comp is sitting idle the HD shouldn't be making much in the way of noise so I assume thats when you're carrying out some kind of task.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
bollee, i'm relieved to hear someone else has a drive that makes the same noise in the bottom right corner as mine (i thought it was a fan - and maybe it is; the hard drive fan?). also like yours, mine is muted by resting my hand there.

MowingDevil: the bottom right HD noise is kind of a hissing for me. and the sound persists even when the system is idle. hopefully someone knows if this is a common issue or something that can be fixed?

mets1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Queens, NY
bollee, i'm relieved to hear someone else has a drive that makes the same noise in the bottom right corner as mine (i thought it was a fan - and maybe it is; the hard drive fan?). also like yours, mine is muted by resting my hand there.

MowingDevil: the bottom right HD noise is kind of a hissing for me. and the sound persists even when the system is idle. hopefully someone knows if this is a common issue or something that can be fixed?

This is my problem which I was trying to figure out and the noise stopped when I put my hand on top of it. I was talking to someone else about this. What could be causing this? I am within the 14 days should I exchange my MBP?

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Fans are supposed to make a little noise of like air flowing even at 2k...
But those noises you are describing seem a little weird...

If your Late 2008 fans sound like this: http://www.macsimumnews.com/videos/mbp-normal-fan.mp3
You are fine

If they sound like this: http://www.macsimumnews.com/videos/mbp-noisy-fan.mp3
Then have it replaced

K, neither of those are the sounds I'm talking about. When my fan gets going it sounds like the first (good) one; thats never been a problem.

Mine is another sound that comes & goes....isn't really noticeable w/ the window open, tv in the background, fridge running etc. But in a quiet environment or late at night I notice it; its obvious. I'm starting to wonder if its the HD...but it sounds like its coming top right from the right fan. I'll try and record it if possible.

mets1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Queens, NY
K, neither of those are the sounds I'm talking about. When my fan gets going it sounds like the first (good) one; thats never been a problem.

Mine is another sound that comes & goes....isn't really noticeable w/ the window open, tv in the background, fridge running etc. But in a quiet environment or late at night I notice it; its obvious. I'm starting to wonder if its the HD...but it sounds like its coming top right from the right fan. I'll try and record it if possible.

Mine do not sound like the sounds the previous poster mentioned... Mowing my problem is exactly as yours. In addition to the HD noise that comes and goes I also hear like a water droplet hear and there. Did you have apple take a look at it? Keep me up to date. Thanks

CaptainCannabis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
The late 2008 is the most silent MBP up to now (not as silent as the MBA though). However if you listen closely while sitting in front of the mac in a silent room you should be able to slightly hear the first sound (from above). Which is just the fan working properly with air flowing through. This fan noise should not be audible at a distance of 1/2meter to 1meter or more from your mac. If it is, then your mac has a faulty fan.

That is the ONLY noise it is supposed to make, if you hear something else you should go get it replaced or fixed. If you are within the first 15 days just go and they will probably repair it, which will take like 15 min, or change it or a new one which will take 30 sec.

Note: Sometimes, new laptops often make the second noise once or twice after a day or 2 since it was bought, it lasts a few seconds until the fan scratches out any bits. This may also happen if you change the inclination of the mac.

EDIT: I forgot to say that normally the most audible thing in you mac tends to be the HD, while the fans tend to be quite silent

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Does the HD go on and off while sitting idle? What makes me think its the right top fan is it seems to click to go a bit faster (makes some muffled clicking sounds) then goes back to original frequency...this happens over & over. Its possible its the HD.

All MBPs have a low frequency hum, but my replacement is definitely louder than the original...although its not so loud that its a problem. This could possibly be connected to the clicking sound.

I'm pretty sure if I took this in to a Genius it wouldn't be very audible as Apple stores are too noisy.

EDIT: the part that drives me nuts is that it comes & goes. If it was constant I could probably tune it out. Now that my loud fridge turned off I can really hear it. I actually think this is the HD now...clicking and changing frequency without use; is that normal for a 7200rpm drive? My previous one certainly didn't do this. I know 7200 drives are louder because they spin faster but this is different.

Fc69

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
Fan noise

Hello,

I believe I have the same problem of noise with the fans. I would swear at the beginning the MBP was totally silent. I thought their was no fans !!
Now I can hear the fans runnings all the time.
I just wonder if the fans should be running at room temperature when you comp is idle ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.