Fan noise when gaming on Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rambosamboo, Aug 17, 2012.

1. rambosamboo macrumors newbie

hi everyone,

when trying to run a few games (e.g. skyrim, cs go, alan wake) on my retina macbook pro via bootcamp i noticed that the fans of my rMBP are running like crazy. i just want to make sure that i don't damage my rMPB. will gaming harm my notebook?

any input would be highly appreciated. many thanks in advance!

2. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Fans facilitate the movement of air. Moving air, relative to stagnant air, causes a faster rate of heat transfer. A faster rate of heat transfer allows for the cooling process of {anything} to be quicker with respect to time.

tl;dr: fans cool things.

You're rMBP has fans so you don't damage your internals. The fans are not a warning sign that your computer is running too hard, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Are you really considering that gaming will harm your computer? I mean they are computer games, why would they harm your computer? I just don't understand, I'm not trying to be mean on purpose. I can't think of a way to ask these questions without sounding like an a$$. But I don't get what thought process you are on here.

3. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

no normal.. simple answer..

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Gaming is best on a Windows PC. Mac's get hot enough just doing regular work. It's the price you pay for an ultra thin housing with nearly no room for air to circulate.

So Apple installs big fans, elevates the specs so people can't say they're running too hot, and when the temps really climb, it's programmed to just shut down. Welcome to the world of "thin light and pretty". :)

5. Speedy Gonzalez macrumors regular

Every time before starting a game I fire up lubbos fan control and set the fans full speed that helps a lot to keep CPU-GPU cool because the automatic fan speed is to weak and the fans start to late

Another thing to consider is setting your max processor state to any value between 50% and 99% that disables turbo on your CPU and bring the temps 10C lower without any loss in performance I have tried open world games and not even those get affected by the lower CPU speed

Gaming with the fans at max and turbo off I see a big difference in both GPU-CPU I recommend this to everybody because even the 3615QM runs at 99C when gaming but doing this it only runs at 89C and the 650M runs at 65C

6. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Actually, it'll throttle long before it shuts down. If your computer shuts down on you from being too hot, you are doing something wrong. Could be that you are resting it on a soft surface, could be that you are standing in the desert running skyrim on ultra at 2880x1800, either way you are doing something you are not supposed to - as this is abnormal behavior.

It won't shut down on you from playing games, don't be confused and made to be afraid by this guy. And the thermals on the rMBP are actually quite amazing, allowing the computer to stay much cooler to avoid throttling even under the most intense situations. Not a problem even though it is "thin light and pretty".

Really, just do a google search, you'll see what I'm saying holds true, it's not a secret.

7. rambosamboo thread starter macrumors newbie

@ chrisfromalbany thx!, that's the answer i was hoping for :)

@rocky relax, i think it's a valid question to make sure that you don't harm your 3k EUR machine, isn't it? i am no expert by any means but I was concerned by the fan noise which to me indicates that the rMBP apparantly gets very hot when gaming.

8. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Yes, go through life taking one word answers from people, and don't expect any reasoning to follow. Great thing to teach someone.

Run for President.

----------

My apologies, I did not realize you intend to spend your life in ignorance. I won't try to help you again.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is a valid question, and it gets asked many, many times in this forum. Rather than be condescending or ridicule you for asking, I prefer to answer it, with a little more detail.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If you're not already using it, iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

10. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

All the internals are built for perfomance and there are 2 fans that do their job properly - so I wouldnt be worried about it.

11. Rocky244 macrumors regular

You'd prefer to just be condescending and take a slight jab at me instead?

I really don't want to argue, but I did say that I was unsure on how to answer the question without coming across as being inconsiderate. And I offered a more detail explanation, the OP preferred the simple "no", if you read the above posts.

I'd appreciate it if we could squash this little tiff you seem to have taken up with me, as I don't appreciate the way you are handling it. If you have a problem with the way I am responding, I encourage you to PM me and we can discuss it further. I am open to considering what you have to say, and will not receive it hostily.

I'm not going to check this thread any further.

12. rambosamboo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for the detailed and constructive response!

13. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

really and you done such great job insulting the thread starter and not answering the question. :rolleyes: BTW sometimes short answers work.. like this case..

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say anything to you or about you. Sensitive much?
    Again, I said nothing to or about you. I responded directly to the OP. What "tiff" are you talking about?

15. Rocky244 macrumors regular

It's okay, if you say you didn't mean anything by it I believe you, disregard those statements. All is well :)

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've never had a single problem on any of my Macs.

But then again, I use them for work, not for gaming. I've got a dedicated Windows Desktop for that.

It's the guys I work with that have tried to game on their newer Macs, and have shared about their experiences.