Fan Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icedd, Aug 8, 2009.

1. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

Yes, another fan noise issue.

My fan seems to be making a sound all of a sudden now, even at 2000~ rpm. The noise is not particularly loud but it is noticeable.

I checked the previous fan noise threads and I noticed that the compressed air canister can help blow the dust off? Would I have to disassemble the uMBP to clean it?

I could go to the AppleStore to go check it out, but it is a hassle for me and I rather just try and fix it myself.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Panzo macrumors 6502

no canned air please... it could damage internal components.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Depends how comfortable you are with opening stuff. I think the uMBP is pretty easy to get access to the fans if that's the problem. Just take off the bottom plate and once that's removed you can see the fans and any dust you think might be causing it. Best thing is that by doing that you're really not touching anything or unscrewing anything you think might make your computer stop working.

4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Are you kidding me? deionized canned air is MADE for electronics

Anyways, if your fans are making noise even at 2000 RPM, I cant help but think its something other than dust causing it. Typically dust just makes it hotter and in turn, the fans kick up. Anyway, the uMBP is simple to open, and its worth a shot cleaning the fans off.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If one of the fans is making noise its bearing is probably shot. If you're under warranty head in to your service provider and have them replace the fan. If you're out of warranty, I suggest you look elsewhere for the part.

6. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

I removed the bottom plate and all I saw was the battery pack and the hard drive disc. Where are the fans?

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You have to remove the larger plate too. That is where the fans will be due to all the chips, being on the mainboard there.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Maybe I missed it but what flavor is the MBP? The 15" has two fans seen in the rear on either side of the logic board and the 13" has one by the CD/DVD drive. You shouldn't need to remove any more plates. Just the bottom case. Be careful if you move anything around, the ribbon cables are ultra thin and easily tearable.

9. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

I have the 15". The back cover looks like that when opened. The picture is not mine, so the remaining plate is removed there for whatever reason.

I don't see the fans anywhere in the back panel. Am I missing something. I'm a newbie when it comes to the actual hardware of a computer/laptop.

Attached Files:

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It's in the middle of the picture! See that plastic thing with little blades next to the optical drive. That's your fan. That looks like a 15" base model. If it has dual graphics, there'd be two of them.

11. ichiban06 macrumors regular

My Unibody's fan (one closest to the ports) is loud at 2000rpm like a low whine. The other fan is dead quiet and I would say that to match the noise of the whining fan I would need to set Quiet fan to around 2600RPM.

I took the fan out and there was hardly any dust (2 months old Macbook Refurb) so I guess its a bearing problem.

I'm going to leave it for now as the nearest store is a 2hr drive.

12. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Anyknow know if you can buy an extra fan for the 13" MBP?

Are spare parts on ebay yet?

13. bova80 macrumors 6502a

my fan started making a clicking noise at low rpms so i took it to the apple store, they couldn't hear it there so they wouldn't fix it and didn't have a fan in stock so they made me ship it off. well i did that and then the apple depot couldn't hear it either so they send it back. as soon as i turn it back on theres the damn noise again. so i took the fan out and then took it all apart and put a little wd-40 on it, making sure not to get to much that would harm anything and low and behold the noise is gone now. wish i would have just done that in the beginning.

14. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

Which one is the optical drive? Sorry. :p

15. vanc macrumors 6502

Is the picture of 15"? My MBP 15" has two fans. A middle one and left one.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

That's the 13" model.

17. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Big black square with the silver outline on topish left.

18. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

[​IMG]

I took off the bottom part.
    Someone please point to me where my fan is LOL.

19. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm sorry, but if that was a serious request, you shouldn't be disassembling anything. The fan is under the panel that you haven't taken off yet.

20. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:According to your pic, it's at the bottom middle.

21. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

Oh right. So it's the thang underneath the battery.

Gotcha. Thanks.

22. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

you just kidding right ?

23. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Correction: according to the pic, it's the top middle.

24. icedd thread starter macrumors 6502

icedd

Wait what? So now the fan is located in the top middle? Does that mean I have to open the top part too?

Or do you guys think that the fan noise has something to do with where the laptop is placed? Usually I have my uMP placed on my incase sleeve, but would it be better if it was just resting on the desk? (crazy thought, I know)

Should I go take it into the store? I'm afraid they might say they don't hear anything, or just give a bogus excuse.

Thanks.

25. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You are Fail.

The top part of the bottom case allows you access to the internal components. You have to take off the cover to see the internal parts.