Fan Noises

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ZombieChef, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ZombieChef macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just purchased a new Macbook. I'm very happy with it aside from the fan noise, which seems a little loud to me. Now, before I bring it into the Apple Store to have it looked at I just want to check and see if maybe I'm just being overly picky.
    I downloaded iStat, based on some Google searching I did on the subject and my fans are running around 2000 rpm, which I understand is normal. But in my apartment, which is admittedly quiet, I can hear my fan running constantly. It isn't extremely loud, but it isn't totally quiet either. I'm just wondering what level of noise I should reasonably expect out of my Macbook.

Thanks.

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

Under light load (4 or 5 windowed applications open), it should be running around 1700 RPM more or less. When I'm doing heavy stuff like using Flash or re-encoding audio for my iPod like now, it shoots up to 6100 RPM.

You should check out SMCFanControl or the Fan Control preference pane. They'll allow you to set limits for your fans so they don't get too extremely loud. It's not worth a trip to an Apple Store, they'd probably give you the cold shoulder.

Hope this keeps the noise down, I like to keep mine quiet too.