Fan not running under bootcamp WTF

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alberto2000, Jul 20, 2009.

1. alberto2000 macrumors newbie

hello
    im on a macbook pro with nvidia 9400 / 9600 gt graphics. i installed windows xp sp2 just to see how games perform under the 9600 gt. at first everything was fine, well, the temps went up to gpu 80°C and cpus up to 60°C but i think thats ok (right?). but then, all of a sudden, the fans stopped working. it all started that when i booted up windows the screen first was like dimmed and lit up very late. then, when i started a game, the fan wouldnt spin and temps went crazy gpu 100°C and cpus 70°C so i shut down. since then under windows there is no more fan activity. is this problem known?? thanks for any advice
    alberto2000

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

Easy.
    Boot into mac.
    Get your favorite fan speed controller software. Bump up the speeds.
    Shut down.
    Boot into windows.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    p3ncil

3. alberto2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats more just a workaround rather than a solution thx anyways.

any other ideas?

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Call Apple and demand better bootcamp drivers and not todays horrible excuse for drivers.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Get the temperature high again and then quickly boot into OS X. If the fans spin up there, there is nothing wrong with your fans and most likely a Windows issue.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Works fine in Vista 32, My fans kick in from the moment I start a game. Perhaps XP bootcamp drives are the issue. How did you setup bootcamp? Was it a clean install from the OS X disk that came with the system or did you move the partition from a prior install?

Cheers,