Fan Not Workin ? newest updates fault ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbookhamburg, Jul 3, 2008.

1. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

Since yesterday the fan on my MacBook2,1 intel core duo is not working anymore... monitor shows 0rpm i already tried smc fan control but nothing...
    (and no i didn´t break the fan installing 3rd party apps it was broken first and I tried to get some reaction from it) the only thing I did was installing the lastest update of osx 10.5.4 besides that everything stayed the same ...

any ideas ? i would take it in imediately but i need it to work and everytime I bring it in it takes 2 weeks....

thank you in advance !

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If the fan really is not working then the machine will probably fry in minutes....

Sounds more like the monitor (iStatPro) is not working...(broken by 10.5.4 perhaps)

3. macbookhamburg thread starter macrumors regular

surprisingly the machine does not fry.... but the fan is definately not working
    ... after a year and a half i know how my fan sounds :)
    it just gets hoter and hotter but i don´t let it get over a 155 f ....
    so like i said the fan is definately not working ...

4. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

The fan in these units can go bad and should be replaced as soon as possible. The repair does not take long. However, you should wait too much longer as you will fry your MLB ($800.00 to repair)

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

It's not that simple to fry a machine. If the sensors are working correctly, it will shutdown before it reaches a certain critical temperature. I've seen at least three laptops with broken fans or dust-clogged air vents and they all simply shut down when things got too hot.

Oh and if Google is right about the conversion of your funny F temperature thingies :)p) to degrees Celsius, you shouldn't be worried. 155 degrees Fahrenheit is a pretty low temperature. My MacBook can get up to 190-200 F (about 90 C) if it's under full load for a longer period of time in the summer and it still works without ANY problems. I clean it regularly and the fans are working properly (the idle temperature is usually about 55 C - 130 F) so it's pretty normal behaviour.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think that the fan is working, but possibly only at 1500-1800rpm, at which speed it is almost silent anyway.

The only sure way to check is to take the topcase off and see if the fan is turning or not.