Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHawkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Hey Guys,

Ive recently purchased an iBook G4, it was fine but recently the fan has started running all the time, from when i boot it up to when i close it down. It very occasionally turns off but only for a couple of minutes, and its really loud, when it goes off the difference is crazy.
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem and if anyone has any fixes. Ive rung apple up but apprantly its a software problem and im out of the 90days, which means id have to pay £35. Hope someone can help me!

Cheers

CH

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
When my iBook hit's 70c the fan is really loud and stays that way until the temp drops to 50c. Is there any chance a PMU reset would make it run quiter.

I can hear it with headpnones on, open variety at low volume.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iTwitch said:
When my iBook hit's 70c the fan is really loud and stays that way until the temp drops to 50c. Is there any chance a PMU reset would make it run quiter.

Probably not. If your iBook is hitting 70º C, then those fans are doing their job. The goal should probably keeping your iBook cooler, rather than changing the fan performance.... make sure it's set on a hard surface so it can ventilate, etc....

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
iTwitch said:

Thats around when my fans go on. If their on when its cooler then its probably a problem but at the temp. their doing their job,

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
At home I always use it on this laptop thingy that raises it up about .5", but occassionaly when I'm ripping vinyl records or a few other things it goes on full and seems a bit loud. Guess it's about time to invest in something with fans. Thanks. <-- Hope Blue Velvet sees this. ;)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Couple of things to check:

1) Open Activity Monitor and see that there isn't any program taking more than about 30% consistently. If there is, then that program is what's keeping your fan on.

2) Open up the Energy Saver system pref and be sure your laptop is set to automatic and not highest performance. If it's already at automatic, try lowering it to longest battery life and see if the reduced performance is worth the reduction in fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.