Fan or HD noise? (MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thriii, Mar 23, 2009.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

I have this sound coming from my macbook pro for about 2-3 days now.. I just want to make sure it's the fan before I buy a replacement and open up my MBP.

Heres a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm8Ru7fu2LY
    When using smcFanControl and I boost the RPM to 6000 on both fans the fan on the right (possible noisy fan) only goes up to 3902 rpm while my other fan goes up to 5772.

[​IMG]

Theres also a little vibration in the upper right of the MBP..

Is there any other way I can make sure it's the fan? Or can any1 tell if its the fan or possibly the HD?

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Definitely not normal.

Get it checked out at the Apple Store.

Or I guess, if your brave you can open the up the top case and see if you can pinpoint the sound.

3. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Which MBP is it? if the vibration is coming from the top right, it is the fan, the harddrive is on the left in the early MBP and I think is still in the left on the new MBP.

4. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

Its a MBP C2D and if the HD is on the left then I'm pretty sure it's the fan.. because its louder coming out of the right speaker. I'm going to go get it checked out by apple at the store today and hopefully it won't take long to fix.. but if it does I'm going to have to fix it myself because I need it for work

5. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

If it's in warranty get it checked by Apple, else do it yourself because they'll probably rip you off anyway.

6. schreck macrumors regular

I've never heard a HDD make that sort of noise. I'd have to say it's most likely a bad fan.

Out of warranty? Good luck on the repair! (as it seems you're doing it yourself)

7. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Heres a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm8Ru7fu2LY
    When using smcFanControl and I boost the RPM to 6000 on both fans the fan on the right (possible noisy fan) only goes up to 3902 rpm while my other fan goes up to 5772. [/QUOTE]

I would head straight to the Apple store to get that checked out, although the noise is abnormal what really concerns me is the right fans inability to get its RPM up. Personally I never run my fans at more than 5000 RPM but technically they should handle 6000 without a problem. Go get it checked out ASAP.

8. risenphoenixkai macrumors member

That sounds like a faulty bearing on the fan.

Take it to the Apple Store and have them replace the fan. It should take them about half an hour to switch it out.

9. JaymeNYC macrumors newbie

thhx 4 all the help every1! I took it to the apple store and they said it was the fan but they said it would take 7 days to fix it since they didnt have the part and I would havet o wait in line.. so I ended u orderin the fan and I'm goin to replace it myself