FAN & other buying concerns

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lego8, Aug 2, 2008.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Hi,

I plan to buy an iPhone tomorrow at the 5th Ave. store.

I'm a current ATT mobile customer with a FAN account. The account is registered under my mother's name, but I am an authorized user.

1) What (exactly) do I need to bring to the store to buy the iPhone?
    2) Will my current ATT account, with FAN, work with the iPhone plan?
    3) Does my mother (the primary account holder) need to be there? I've heard mixed answers. Is there a definite answer now?

Thanks

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

First you have to remove the FAN from the account if you want to purchase in the Apple store. Here is Apple Link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2349

Second: Once you remove it, you need to have the following:

To purchase and activate iPhone 3G, you need the following:
    Credit card
    Social security number
    Valid government-issued photo ID
    Current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)

Source: http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

Third, it still is upto the sales rep as to if you can complete the transaction with out the Account holder present.

Fourth, you will need to reactivate you FAN discount. Please note that this can take 1-2 billing cycles, and you will not receive any discount during this time.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OK, I give up.

What in the motherlovin' heck is a FAN account? I have seen this abbreviation for a month or so and can't find out what the crap it stands for ANYWHERE. It's like the frickin' Da Vinci Code or something. Puh-leeeze let me in! :)

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

no idea what it stands for, but its a discount given by your University/office, to put on your monthly bill, and it ranges from say 5% to 20% discount...:D i get like 18 i think it is :D so my bro is happy cuz he pays for all this AT&T crap...

5. ginger.al@gmail macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

FAN = foundation account number. And fireshot description is correct.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Hmm. Wonder if my brother-in-law (an AT&T employee) can hook me up with that. Although I do think he's trying to get some sort of bundling thing done. Those things are so crazy because before it was DirecTV, now it's Dish Network in the mix. Imagine getting some sort of mail-in rebate from Apple, but you had to coordinate it with Intel first. Same tons of fun.

7. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

How can I cancel the FAN status? Can I do it online? Will the changes take place immediately?

8. cambridge1807 macrumors member

Dial 611, wait for Customer Service Representative. Then tell them you want to remove the FAN discount because you want to upgrade to the iPhone. They should have done it plenty of times, so it should be a breeze. I took mine off and the changes took place immediately.

9. jeraldobunkster macrumors newbie

does anyone know if I can apply a FAN discount if Im not the primary account holder? My service is under my moms name with me as an authorized user, and I have a FAN from school but dont know if they will let me use it. And to switch the account into my name is difficult and costly so thats no option.

10. cambridge1807 macrumors member

Yes you can. I'm in a family plan with my dad as the account holder. I am an authorized user and I added the FAN discount from my school (university) online.