Fan over working and beach ball issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by urizen, Nov 2, 2014.

1. urizen macrumors newbie

I use a macbook pro 13'' early 2011 running OS X 10.9.5. My fans have been over working for no reason, no programs take up ram on the activity monitor. Beach balls and system freezes follow shortly after the fan starts running.
    sometimes the mac overheats then the fans kick in followed by the beach balls, but there is no app running that would cause it to over heat, it seems to happen by itself.
    I upgraded my ram from 4 gb to 8 gb, booted in safe mode, ran apple hardware tests, cleaned the caches with onyx and repaired disk permission but it still persists. any ideas on what this is and how to stop it?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You mentioned looking at RAM usage in Activity Monitor, but did you look at the CPU tab? Sort by CPU% and see if anything is chewing up CPU cycles there.

3. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

I had a similar problem on my iMac with Mavericks. Fan would come on, then 'Beachball of Doom' several times a day - in simple tasks and more memory intensive usage. The only way out was a force reboot. When I started using Yosemite, all those problems went away. I'm not saying that is the answer, but it worked for me.

4. urizen thread starter macrumors newbie

how is yosemite? is it bearable? i'm hearing some bad things about it

5. urizen thread starter macrumors newbie

i took some screenshots of the cpu on activity moniter when the freezing starts and stops. pic 1 is when the fan starts, pic 2 is when the system freezes and pic 3 is when it goes back to normal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Mavericks was NEVER as stable as Yosemite is! I like Yo-te a lot. Things are much faster opening and operating (Safari, PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc.).

7. urizen thread starter macrumors newbie

is there anything I should look out for when I upgrade? any preferences I should change after upgrading?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to sort in that next column over CPU% so we can see everything running.

I do see that Wondershare Player consistently using around 26%. I would start by deleting that.

9. urizen thread starter macrumors newbie

i got rid of wondershare. I also erased the disk and did a clean install. the beach ball and fan issue stopped. when i did a software update [not to yosemite] the problem came back. I think i have to get yosemite

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yosemite is fine if you want it, but I doubt that will fix this. If you sort the column by CPU% you should be able to see what is going in there.

11. urizen thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the late reply. here are the CPU% when it is before, during and after the freeze

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It looks like you have some sort go Flash game or something running there in Firefox. How are things if you quit Firefox and use Safari instead for a bit?

13. urizen thread starter macrumors newbie

it's running a bit better when i use firefox. i did a clean install of mavericks and updated to yosemite, it's definitely 'quieter' in terms of some issues, but the system freezes do occur when i play a video file or use a program like photoshop.

14. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

I had that fan/beachball problem a couple times a day with my iMac running Mavericks. Safari would end up taking 7GB of RAM. Photoshop would crash. Time Machine always stalled. Since I've been on Yosemite, no more problems. I also designate external drive for scratch disks now (PS).

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I had this problem on a 2011 MBA, starting after installing Mavericks. It was entirely a software problem on Apple's part. It took them about 6 months to issue a patch. Probably the patch for you is just baked into Yosemite. Update!

16. urizen thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the mix up I meant safari which is running better than firefox. the way things are looking now i might have to wait for a few updates.