Fan Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bilalo, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello
    Please look at the attachments I have put, I have late 2013 full specced 15 inch retina, 512 gb ssd etc.. My fan since i got it goes really got quite often whether or not I am doing something, it is a problem with my pc because my friends do the same things and more and dont get up to 6k rpm. When I play games like Dota 2 or something on 1680x1050 graphics or any graphics it heats like crazy. When I browse facebook it heats, when I just have torrent open it goes to 6k rpm. Why does this keep happening? Will this shorten the life of my laptop? I attached a few different times this has happened.

Thank You

I have applecare 3 year warranty and im sure this is an apple fault because since day 1 it was happening and now its been a year but I just never got to changing it.

Attached Files:

2. simonsi, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

What is Fahcore_a4? That seems to be loading the cpu and therefore causing heat and therefore the fans are running hard.

Ah - you are donating cpu cycles to Stanford university, consequently this process runs you cpu hard. Google, there is advice on how to remove it.

Just to add, this concept doesn't work well on laptops and mobile devices, they never truly have "spare" cpu, there is always a cost in heat and therefore battery life, best confine installing this on desktops or machines designed to run 100% and attached to mains power 100% of the time.

Oh and gaming will cause heat and fans, torrenting may but any idle time FAH would have used and created heat and fans when your usage wouldn't so not an Apple problem - blame whoever installed FAH ;-)

3. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanksfor noticing the FAHCORE but if you look closely its only in one of the pictures meaning its not always the problem and I removed it!! I donno how I had it to be honest :/ So annoying :mad: Im gonna use my laptop now and see if its actually fixed.

Thank you again

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The odd thing is that it wold have been using cpu when nothing else was so may have given the impression you had a constant (or nearly so) problem. Best to see now if it improves - but make sure fahcor IS removed, web indicates it may be "difficult" to remove...

Good luck :)

5. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

I think its actually better now. It's only heating up when I'm playing Dota which is normal I guess but no more just random heating when surfing facebook or literally doing nothing. Hopefully it'll stay this way.

Thanks Again