Fan problems *after* SMC update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jpsecher, Mar 31, 2013.

1. jpsecher macrumors newbie

My MacBook 15" Retina (Mid 2012) has never had any fan problems.

But on 2013-03-30 (I believe) the fans started to give an annoying noise, which only stops when powering down. It is a constant noise that is there regardless of what processes are running on the machine.

From SystemInformation/Software/Installations (date sorted), I can see that an SMC update has been installed on 2013-03-24.

Data points: I have now installed the app "System Monitor" which reports that both left and right fan run at approximately 2000 RPM (and CPU temperature is 36C). Is that normal?

My question is, can the SMC update have caused this problem?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

2000 RPM is the lowest they go and should not be audible. Try an SMC reset in case the sensors are wrong and they are spinning up for no reason.

If that does not help, there could be something that came loose inside the fan, causing a kind of grinding noise.

3. jpsecher thread starter macrumors newbie

Restting the SMC does not change anything, allthough I am not sure that a reset was actually performed; there was no feedback after the left Ctrl/Shift/Option + Power combo was pressed and released simultaneously. How can I check that?

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Run you MBP on battery, let it run down to 90%, attach the charger, then perform the SMC reset. The LED charging indicator will flip from red - green - red, this confirms the SMC reset.

5. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

It's completely normal. Your fans will never spin down below 2K RPM even at idle. But they should also be inaudible at 2K unless you literally press your ear up to the chassis.

CPU temp actually looks good, lower than most at default.

I would agree with B that it might be hardware related :(