Fan problems on MacBook Pro 13" Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sondre, May 25, 2013.

1. Sondre macrumors newbie

Hi

I bought my macbook pro 13" retina right before Christmas. Just a few days after I got it I started having issues with the fan.

The machine can run smoothly for hours and then the fan suddenly starts like a jet-engine. This usually happens when the temp according to smcFanControl and Temperature Gauge is between 45-50C (113-120F) so i dont think the reason is overheating. I also dont think the reason is high CPU because I usually dont run any high performance programs.

Usually the fan runs at about 2000RPM then it jumps to 7-8000 for a few seconds and then down to 0 and up again. This can continue for many minutes and its quite loud. While this is happening i usually hear some "clicking" sounds from the left side of the machine. Almost like same sound as connection to modem internet years ago, but not as loud.

I took the machine to my local Mac dealer and they took it in for a service. They didnt find anything and said my fan worked normally under stress. I had to pay about $80 for it...

Anyone know what this can be and how to fix it? I have tried to reset SMC without any luck.

Thanks

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

what dealer did you take it to? It has a one year warranty, you shouldn't be charged for anything. Is there an Apple store near you? I would go there. I have not seen anything like this on my 13" rMBP.

3. trigonometry, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

My 13" does this when the fans are blocked and during CPU intensive tasks. At times I didn't think the programs I was using were that intense but once I kill a few the fans simmer down. What worries me with yours is the clicking. That's abnormal. Take it to Apple.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Really? I've processed photos and videos (for hours) and not seen the fans get up to even 5000. I've never seen them spike up to the amount the OP said.

5. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

FCPX rendering + VMWare + Safari(Netflix fullscreen on a second monitor) + Firefox(Browsing) + Terminal + Aperture + all the other background processes = Airplane Sounding Fans. It's not a daily occurrence but it is repeatable. What year is your machine? Mine is 2012 like OP's. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Apple did the quick refresh. IDK.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

7. kjb0419 macrumors newbie

Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning it? Sometimes dust gets built up in there and it causes issues. Pretty easy to clean and it really does make a difference.

Also if you or anyone in your home smokes it can get sucked up into the fans and cause MAJOR build up.