Fan problems SMC?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by studiox, Jul 24, 2007.

1. studiox macrumors regular

Hi,

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows Vista 32bit. Been running both XP 64, Vista 64, Vista 32 before and now it was time to go legal :)

After installation i had some minor problems with c++ runtime **** but apart from that everything seemed to be fine.

I installed Test drive unlimited as i couldn't get that working with Vista 64 (That's why i got the 32b version even if i have 4G ram....). But i experienced strange behavior with the gfx driver. It stopped working etc. etc. So i fired up ATI control and noticed that the GPU where doing around 80C in temp. That's not good..

I also noticed that my fans where running at the same speed. Strange, they have never done that in Windows before..

Booted up OSX and ran SMCFanControl and noticed that the fans where running at 500RPM.. Thats normally nice but my RAM where hot as ¤¤¤%¤% must have been around 80C.. But now increase in fan RPM to cool those down.

Has my SMC stopped working?? - have tried to reset it w/o any difference? Even if Windows is not able to control the fan's shouldn't that be controlled by h/w?

System: mac pro 2x2.66
    RAM: 4G (8x512M, original)
    GFX: ATI 1900XT
    Drives: 250,250,250,160 SATA
    Monitor: ACD 23"

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Very strange, I'd contact the SMC guys and ask them the same thing. I am not sure how SMC works, but if OSX isn't loaded, it shouldn't be controlling any fans. And if your booted to Vista, the apple hardware should take control.

Not really sure on this.

3. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

No, they run at minimum speed constantly, apart from the GPU fan (if you have one).

http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?article=98&section=other

4. studiox thread starter macrumors regular

Already seen that link :)
    But it's not true. My Mac Pro has changed speed of the fans while using windows. While running 3DMark my computer almost started sounding like a 747 taking off... If that was software or hardware control i don't know - But i'm going to find out. (by installing it agan.. Love installs....)

Btw, after running CPUTest and XBench at the same time i managed to get an increase in the fan speed under OSX so something is at least working. Good new everyone.

5. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Ah yes

the CPU fan may be variable but the PCIe bay certainly isn't

6. studiox thread starter macrumors regular

i guess the CPU have to be hardware to avoid blowing your cpu's in a nice black smoke while overclocking or doing something the OS is not aware of.

Further investigation showed that Bootcamp drivers 1.3 installed some "Apple stuff" in the box:

System:
    - Apple 5000 series Chipset DMA Engine (I guess its the Intel 5000 series...) - That one showes a memory conflict.
    - Apple SMBus 1.0 host controller

This is really frustrating! - I know "boot camp" are Beta but Apple don't mind people using Windows Vista - But now i can't due to heat problems related to that Apple haven't released all their drivers!!

Also, that is strange. As Apple are using a Intel 5000 MB for Mac Pro, i don't know why vista hasen't detected all the chipsets that is required for heat control either.

7. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Sure you can, just read that heat article I posted earlier.

Or I'll just summarize: Use SMCFanControl2 to change your fan speed. The settings 'stick' upon restart so you can simply change your settings, restart into vista, and blahpow! your computer is cooled properly.

8. studiox thread starter macrumors regular

Our just read my response to your reply, or i can summarize it for you :) -Yes i have read that. Just two problems:

1. I don't want to boot into OSX every time i want to use Vista (like every day)

2. A fixed fan speed does not solve my problems - i want the speed to be variable, depending on the heat in the system.

I would prefer Apple to fix the problem of course, as they have stated that "windows is ok", if they would be talking about "Dont use windows, your computer would blow up" - or something i would be fine. But now....