Fan problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Jun 30, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

My MBP (2.5 Penryn) has been fine up until the last few weeks, and now the fan is constantly on at 4-5.5k rpm. I've elevated it, put some feet under it to it's off the desk by about 2cm, I've done numerous restarts/shutdowns etc., but it's always OK for a couple of hours, then gets up there and won't go back down. I'm not doing anything - just, web/email (it was fine doing this until recently, with the fan at the normal ~2000rpm unless doing something requiring more power) and there's nothing major running in the background either in Activity Monitor.

Can anyone help?

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If you haven't noticed, its summer! That means that the ambient temperature in your operating environment is going to be higher, which means that your computer will be running hotter too and require higher fan speeds to keep the temps down.

Just about the only thing you could really do is crack it open and clean up the thermal paste, but that's a pretty serious undertaking.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

If you haven't noticed, I'm in the UK :p

Yes, it's slightly hotter in between the torrential downpours, but surely not that much hotter to warrant such an increase in temperature and subsequent fan speeds?!

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good idea, thanks. I'll give it a go.