Fan Question on 2011 and 2012 13-inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jabalczar, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jabalczar macrumors member

My fan is quite noisy on the 13-inch 2011 i5 model. The laptop isn't doing anything intensive, and the fan isn't whirring fast, it's just noisy. It doesn't sound faulty.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading it to the latest 2012 model 13-inch. Does anyone know if the fan is near silent / off when not doing anything intensive? Or, at least quieter.

I've got used to the Air, which is completely silent, noticeably so, 99% of the time.

Thanks.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

It will always run at least at 2000 rpm. Depending upon how quite the room is you may be able to hear the fan at that noise. I personally dont hear mine when running at 2000 - unless I place my ear near the machine. If you think it is making to much noise when idle get it checked out.

3. jabalczar thread starter macrumors member

My working room is library quiet, perhaps that's why. Though the Air is silent. I thought I read something about a new fan design on the 2012 Pro 13-inch, so wondered if it was near silent or not as on so much.

4. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Mt cMBP (mid-2012 model) has the fan running around 2,000rpm constantly.

However, it is barely noticeable. Yes, if I put my head about six inches from the MacBook Pro, with nothing else running, I can 'just' hear it.

But in normal use? Hardly hear it at all.

Granted, if you are doing something very processor intensive the fan kicks up and becomes more noticeable, but then, this is entirely normal.

But in normal use (Web, iTunes, word processing or other non-demanding tasks) then the fan is almost silent.

It is significantly quieter than my old late-2007 MBP was in operation anyway!

5. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

got a 2012 cMBP under there own control ive yet to hear the fan, if i use smc to ramp the speed up, its still not loud, maybe your 2011 has a faulty fan ? it could have a blade out of balance ?