fan question on the 15inch retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevintrung, May 26, 2015.

1. kevintrung macrumors newbie

hello i just wanted to ask is it normal to hear fan running on the macbook pro 15inch? i just got it a few days ago. i had a 13inch before and i never hear the fan running ever

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes its normal - but the level at which it is running may not be normal. How loud are we talking and how quite is the room your in? When there running full blast there very loud.

3. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

That is the exact same question I have. Also do you have the 15" with just the Iris Pro or with the dedicated graphics?

4. kevintrung thread starter macrumors newbie

my room is very quite so i can hear it clearly running. It sounds like a small fan is running lol i dont know what is considered as abnormal noise.
    I have the one with dedicated graphic

5. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Download istatpro. It will report how fast the fans are spinning. If it reads 2000RPM then you're pretty much fine because it won't go lower than that. One reason you might find it louder than the 13" is because the 15" has 2 fans instead of 1.

Also when you feel the fans are loud, what apps are you running?

6. kevintrung, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

kevintrung thread starter macrumors newbie

i was running kodi in full screen mode. I also see that when the dedicated graphic card kick in, the fan seem to run

Update: i just downloaded istat and it says that my right fan is running at 3200 and left is 3500

7. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Then yes that is a bit more loud than usual but it's normal if it happens when the dGPU kicks in, because it creates more heat. You can download an app called gfxcard or sth like that and you can force your machine to use either integrated or dedicated graphics. It won't switch. I used to do this on my old 2010 MBP. I opened youtube and it wanted to use dedicated for watching a 320p video..:eek:

8. kevintrung thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your answer, but i think i know why its running louder. I put my laptop on my mattress usually and as soon as i put it on a table for the first time the fan go back down to 2000, and the temp also go down as well. I guess it concludes that putting laptop on bed and mattresses is not a good idea

9. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

:eek::eek::eek:

No no no!! never put a laptop on a mattress or pillow! The bottom plate acts as a heatsink.

10. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

This is true, or if you are using it on your bed just for web browsing, if your going to do anything heavier get a big magazine or book to sit under it. I had my 17 MBP on my bed and shortly after doing it for a week one of my fans died out. Now this could not be related, but I have not done it since lol.