Fan replacement, is this ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevearm, Jul 5, 2014.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all, I'm looking to replace the fan in my 13" MBP (2009 model), after using it for 5 years the fan is getting really loud and I would like to swap it out with a brand new one. My question is are these two models on eBay ok to purchase? I assume Apple branded ones don't exist, so I just wanted to check I could trust ones like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Apple...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item3ce04aaa55

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MACBOOK-1...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item2c6430740b

They seem quite cheap, that's why I'm hesitant...

Any advice appreciated :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you researched, why the fan is loud? Does it spin faster? Have you cleaned it?

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Playing a video on Youtube increases the rpm to 6000 and temperature to about 70 deg C.

I'm happy to just use compressed air to clean the fan, but I figured for £10 I might as well just buy a new one.

4. simsaladimbamba

YouTube uses Flash, which is power hungry, thus more CPU is needed, more heat is generated and thus the fan spins faster.
    Though 6.000 RPM at 70° C is quite much, 70° C should warrant 3.000 to 4.000 RPM fan speeds.
    Maybe look into cleaning the fan and SMC Fan Control and also take a look at ClickToFlash or ClickToPlugin, as you can playback YouTube videos without Flash, though you are limited to 720p, which should be enough for the internal display anyway.

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your input much appreciated.

I'm happy to either clean the fan or just purchase a replacement, would like to know if the ones in my original post are suitable or if it wouldn't be a good idea to trust them.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Original Apple part number for your fan is 661-4946.

Either of your links should be a good replacement fan.

However, as simsaladimbamba hinted, you might be changing the fan, when it's simply trying to do its job - just running faster than you remember because your MBPro is getting old, and particularly the heat sink joint may need to be redone, and is no longer providing efficient cooling for the CPU (and the fan is forced to run too hard). That's a task that MIGHT give you back your quiet laptop, even if you don't replace the fan.

7. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, including that those two parts are suitable to replace my current fan.

I think I'll start off my cleaning the fan with compressed air and see if that does the trick. I don't think I've cleaned the dust out once in 5 years so I can imagine that's an issue at least.

8. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Getting a new fan might be a good idea still though. Fans don't last forever. Have you ever had any kind of fan last longer than 5 years?

9. simsaladimbamba

And ClickToFlash will also do wonders.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I used a soft and dry toothbrush, because compressed air does nothing inside a MBP. I removed the fan (not the cables) and removed the dust with the soft and dry toothbrush. Compressed air has many applications and this is not one of them.

The left fan was pretty old and loud, so that i replaced the fan with a new one. Both, the cleaning with the toothbrush and the replacement of the fan solved the loudness problem for me. The MBP runs now much cooler (≈ 20 °C lower).

The cost of the new fan and the toothbrush was below 40 £.

11. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting thanks for the info. Surprised to hear you say that compressed air doesn't do much, I've watched a few videos on YouTube that shows it working very well to clear the dust?

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I use Google Chrome (with the appropriate settings) for Flash & HTML5 video sites. Has full hardware acceleration (the best of all browsers) even on integrated GPUs and has always the newest Flash Player plugin. Supports also "click to play" without additional extensions.

13. simsaladimbamba

How does click to play work in Chrome then? Flash videos always start to play when the site is loaded.

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Did they remove the fan(s), and did they show the air inlet was dust free? My own experience is, that compressed air distributes the dust and does not remove the thick layer of dust, which you see when you remove the fan.

----------

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142064?hl=en-GB

(click "Run or block plug-ins")

Only HTML5 videos load automatically, if you use the Youtube HTML5 video player.