Fan Replacement - need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klineti, Sep 24, 2011.

1. klineti macrumors newbie

My 15" Macbook pro was making unusual noise and the service group that I used determined that it was my right fan. I was in a bit of a rush to get my computer functional again, so I paid the parts price to replace the fan and the labor.

After review of the internals of the computer 3 weeks later, I'm not certain if the right fan was indeed replaced or not.

Both fans seem to have the same amount of dust on and in the fan blades. I think this would be impossible for a new fan to have that much dust on it in three weeks. The rest of the surrounding internals do not look like they were dusted either.

In addition, the stickers on the fans (white circular sticker) seem to have very similar part numbers. Without knowing more about mac service I am unsure how to determine for sure if the fan is new or not. I would prefer to be 100% certain before I go speak to the service provider about it.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Maybe the whole thing was dusted out and all the dust you're seeing is new.

Or maybe they fixed the old fan. :confused:

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

can u maybe ask them if the replaced the old fan with a new fan or if they took the old fan and fixed it?