Fan running during game??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivnj, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

I installed tico lite free version onto my dads macbook pro late 2011 i7 4gb ram Lion .4. I thought i7 was good enough for games. But my fan came on and never has before. I even have a belkin cooler pad under neath on my lap. I closed and checked with with istat widget and my cpu was 75 and down to 54 a few minutes later. How can such a simple game make me go to 75c?? Isn't i7 good enough?? Or do I need to upgrade my ram??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's perfectly normal for your Mac to heat up during gaming or other intense activities. Adding RAM won't relieve the demand on the CPU/GPU. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If you're not already using it, iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

3. RiseDarthVader macrumors member

GGJstudios that's a really great copy-paste for every time this topic comes up.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I wish you could favorite GGJ's post for future reference

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Some possibilities:
    1. It's normal. Stop worrying over nothing.
    2. Poor/inefficient coding.
    3. The game isn't as "simple" as you think it is. How are you determining its simplicity? Just from playing it? You'd need to look at the code to make such an assessment.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, they keep showing up everywhere automagically, so really no need for that ;)

7. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Adding one thing which you seem to be misunderstanding and was missed by GGJStudios - adding more RAM won't really affect your gaming performance and the processor does little work in gaming in comparison to the GPU. Having the fastest i7 in the world won't make a laptop with a horrible GPU any better at gaming unless it's very simple games which rely heavily on the CPU specifically - in which case, yeah it'll work hard and a lot of heat will be generated. Just thought I'd clear that up; the processor helps but the main thing you need to be looking at when gaming is your GPU.

8. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I've always wondered why you aren't a moderator. You're so helpful and friendly.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, I didn't miss that. Read again: