Fan runs at high for no reason ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ottos, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ottos macrumors member

Woke up 13'' MBP this morning sarfari running no flash intensive sites and my fan shoots up to around 4700 rpm
    72 c and stays there for 15 min no other programs running no popup windows that says it up dating ,
    I shut down Sarfari and still runs high , I then restart it and now it runs normal at around 2000 rpm
    seems kind of weird what could cause this?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

When (if) it happens again post a screen shot of your Activity Monitor (All Processes), and sorted by CPU usage.

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Was it flat on a desk or was it on a bed or something? The aluminium case itself acts as a heatsink so if anything gets in the way of the heat dissipation then the fan on my MBP go crazy no matter what I'm doing.

4. ottos thread starter macrumors member

On the table nothing blocking the ventilation.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That's over 160 degrees F; at that temperature, it is normal for the fans to increase. 45xx and in that bracket is about right; I go to that at 160F/72C as well. Also, if temperature is increasing very rapidly, the fans seem to increase at a lower temperature as opposed to fans kicking on later if the temp is only increasing at a slow rate.

6. Heinekev macrumors member

Sometimes Flash goes AWOL and caps out at 100% utilization for no reason whatsoever, even with no Safari windows to speak of open. When that happens, my fans go full-blast.

Next time your fans are going crazy, as mentioned above, open Activity Monitor and look for any process using a large amount of CPU time.