fan runs even when lid is shut

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghanwani, May 14, 2016.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Every now and then, even after I shut the lid, the fan will remain running for a minute, sometimes longer. Is this normal? I only started experiencing this with El Capitan. Laptop is a mid-2010 13" MBP.

2. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

3. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response/suggestion. I completely missed seeing this until now. I will give it a shot. It sounds like that may well be the problem, especially since I'm experiencing many other symptoms like extended bouncing of icons when starting up apps.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2016 ---
    I just tried this. It did not make any difference. Fan still runs for a while even after the lid is closed. The bouncing icons part is significantly improved. Where it would bounce for a minute for some apps (like skype), it now bounces about 6-8 times (< 10 sec).

Is the fan running because the machine's thermal paste is no longer effective? Or there is dust in the machine?

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The fan can run till it's sleeping.
    Check the sleep light - eg for my MBP 2009 it'll take a minute to get to sleep. I'm guessing it's getting my 8GB RAM to SSD disc.

5. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 4 GB RAM. How long do you think it would take to actually get to sleep? Mine can sometimes run for a few minutes after the lid has been shut, depending on vigorously it was working prior.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It can also be cooling components down.

I went through this last month with my wife's '11 one night it ran all night :eek:

I reset the SMC got not love so I turned it off, unplugged it, took the bottom case off, disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes buttoned it back up and she's not had a problem since.