Fan runs high no matter what

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Rikos87, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Rikos87 macrumors newbie

2006 Intel Macbook, runs Snow Leopard, has a tendency to run its fans high, sounds like a weak hairdryer.

I've checked activity monitor and terminal. Things seem fine. While typing this however activity monitor shows a lot of system usage.

For some reason I'm not suspecting my browser (Camino), and it happened while I have had one tab open.

I've tried resetting the SMC, worked then it came back. I've tried the printer queue thing but I can't find anything.

So far the most logical conclusion I can draw is that it could be the surface but even then on a stable solid surface it runs high.

I'm seriously considering taking it into Apple because this is getting repetitive. I can understand fans running high when I'm doing intensive processes, but happening while playing music and checking my e-mail?

Help would be greatly appreciated. I want to try all options before I have to really take it in.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Your machine was built in 2006, so it wasn't designed for Snow Leopard. So the software must not interact with the hardware properly. Thats why the fans are running a bit funny.

Have you tried downloading SMC Fan control to control the fans?

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My sis macbook did the same, I opened it, cleaned it and applied new thermal paste. Now it's quiet again, with fans inaudible unless she does some heavy workload.

And Snow Leopard is designed to run on ANY intel mac. and I believe Snow Leopard is faster on even the oldest intel macs, because Leopard contains tons of PPC code and SNow Leopard is much more stripped of PPC code.