Fan speed and noise 13" MBA with vmfusion/win7

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by entatlrg, Feb 23, 2011.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

My 13" MBA (ultimate) is silent ... until I go to Win7 via vmfusion ... then the fan roars running only one Microsoft Program, (Publisher).

The in-store Apple Expert at BestBuy to me to "use software to turn the fan speed down when using windows, it won't hurt the machine ..."

My concern is if he's wrong and the fan is running in windows because it needs to then it will damage the machine.

Has anyone else noticed or solved the fan speed/noise in Windows with their MBA.

Feedback from experts is appreciated.

2. Psilocybin, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

uhm...i wouldnt turn it down personally...i think that apple expert has no idea what hes talkin about

the reason the fans are running is to keep the heat down (obviously). and running a virtual machine within osx is pushing the processor and RAM. I would not turn the fans down beyond manufacturers specifications. Your machines hardware will fail alot quicker if exposed to high temperatures also not to mention kernel panics. this is a horrible idea, dont do it

if you really want to turn the fans down, than use smcfancontroller and pay extremely close attention to the processor temperatures........try not to let them exceed 85 degreese

Keep in mind you can't change the highest the fans run. Just the lowest they run with smcfancontrol

3. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

There isn't really anything you can do about it. I do notice adjusting the angle of the screen(and thus the airflow) has a bit of an effect on noise.

4. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I'm not sure if this is possible but wouldn't there be a way to manually throttle the MBA to a lower clock speed?

I'd guess that if you managed to run the 1.86 at 1.2 Ghz or something, it would run much cooler. Of course everything would be slower but I guess it's better to have a bit slower performance than listening to a jet engine :)

Edit: I just looked but according to another thread here it isn't possible. :(

5. 2IS macrumors 68030

Get CoolBook. It doens't lower the speed, but it lowers the voltage going to the processor, making it run cooler. My fan use to go into high gear when using skype and since installing cool book, it's never hit top revs and the system overall is cooler and battery lasts longer.

6. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Ya I'd rather have a noisy but cooler system than a warmer and silent system. I use coolbook plus I boost my rpms with smcfancontrol when I game. But overall coolbook makes a big difference