Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
so I was resizing some HD photos in pixelmator and had safari running in the background when my MacBook pro's fans began whirling up, the temperature underneath was above 110f at least. Now I opened disk utility and right after opening it the fans and temp are super hot again, is this normal? I don't recall if my 2014 had this issue as I didn't have pixelmator.
I really don't want to have to take this guy in to Apple if I don't have to. Anyone know if pixelmator and safari or disk utility would cause such excessive heat and a ruckus so quickly?

K.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
so I was resizing some HD photos in pixelmator and had safari running in the background when my MacBook pro's fans began whirling up, the temperature underneath was above 110f at least. Now I opened disk utility and right after opening it the fans and temp are super hot again, is this normal? I don't recall if my 2014 had this issue as I didn't have pixelmator.
I really don't want to have to take this guy in to Apple if I don't have to. Anyone know if pixelmator and safari or disk utility would cause such excessive heat and a ruckus so quickly?

K.

Sounds normal to me, you were stressing the processor and the fans spun up to deal with the excessive heat thats normal.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sounds normal to me, you were stressing the processor and the fans spun up to deal with the excessive heat thats normal.
Thanks, I was and am just surprised at it jumping from 0-60mph in like 5 seconds when I wasn't doing anything super heavy, do you know if pixelmator or safari are usually such heat hogs?
Thanks again for the help.

K.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
45-64c seems to have been the temp, or at least TG Pro says that about the CPU cores.

These are fairly low as CPU temps go anything under 95C should be absolutely nothing to worry about.

It does seem a little low for full speed fans but if they din't stay like that I wouldn't worry.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
These are fairly low as CPU temps go anything under 95C should be absolutely nothing to worry about.

It does seem a little low for full speed fans but if they din't stay like that I wouldn't worry.
Yeah it takes about 30 or less seconds for the temps to drop from 70c to in the 60c then drops signinicantly faster when fans are between 4000-5000-ish speeds, (the fans die down after 3 minutes. Thanks for helping, I apologize for my annoyance. I'm more anal retentive than I thought, lol.
How hot can MacBooks or CPUs get before shutting down or dying?

D.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I know I've asked many questions, but does utility disk or Pixemator or art applications cause the heat to spike every now and then? Should I download a temp monitor, or is it not needed?... thanks again so much everyone and my apologies for asking so many questions.

Kal.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I know I've asked many questions, but does utility disk or Pixemator or art applications cause the heat to spike every now and then? Should I download a temp monitor, or is it not needed?

Pixelmator certainly could, depending on what you're doing. Same for Safari, if you're running any flash content

Don't worry about the temps. If the computer gets too hot, the fans will kick in. If that doesn't get the temps down, the CPU/GPU will throttle to prevent damage.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yeah it takes about 30 or less seconds for the temps to drop from 70c to in the 60c then drops signinicantly faster when fans are between 4000-5000-ish speeds, (the fans die down after 3 minutes. Thanks for helping, I apologize for my annoyance. I'm more anal retentive than I thought, lol.
How hot can MacBooks or CPUs get before shutting down or dying?

D.

It always used to be capped at 105C CPU temp before they actually shut down, but they'll throttle back before then.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Pixelmator certainly could, depending on what you're doing. Same for Safari, if you're running any flash content

Don't worry about the temps. If the computer gets too hot, the fans will kick in. If that doesn't get the temps down, the CPU/GPU will throttle to prevent damage.
Yeah I had multiple large images I was resizing, and also had the source of the images pulled up on Safari...

It always used to be capped at 105C CPU temp before they actually shut down, but they'll throttle back before then.
So that's the max temp for MBP CPUs?

I should start taking notes to what is and isn't normal, lol.

Kal.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Honestly, I would'n't worry too much about it. Monitoring your temperatures is only going to cause you anxiety that you don't need, and that isn't really necessary.

Just use your macBook Pro, and enjoy it. As long as you're not covering up the vents or anything, it will be fine, there's plenty of protection features built in that will intervene if a heat problem does actually develop. The monitoring software, while useful sometimes for satisfying curiosity, isn't really necessary for the system's health.

If anything, the one thing you shouldn't do is put a pillow, thick blanket or other similar material underneath your MBP when you're using it. I see lots of people whoa re afraid to scratch up the bottoms of their cases, and so they stick it on top of these soft billowy items (or their soft case). Honestly, that does more harm by heating up your laptop than just resting it on the bare surface. As long as the surface is reasonably flat and clean, everything should be fine.

Reactions: simonsi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.