Fan Speed & CPU Temp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adaptation, Feb 27, 2013.

1. adaptation macrumors newbie

Hi, guys!

So within the last couple of weeks I've noticed my fan becoming much more audible. I'm not sure if it's always been this loud and I haven't noticed or if this is new, but I suspect it's new, because it seems to coincide with me resuming regular playing of World of Warcraft (on my Macbook Pro, 13" mid-2010, running Mountain Lion).

A few weeks before Christmas, my hard drive failed and I replaced it. I haven't had any problems with the new one, and when I had the MBP open while I was replacing it, I would have noticed if the fan was overly dirty, unless the fan is hidden away somewhere I couldn't see. I didn't go digging through the inside of my poor MBP or anything. I'm not a computer wizard, I'm just competent enough to replace a hard drive when I need to.

iStats is informing me that my CPU temp is currently at 80° and my fan is running between 4600 and 5500 rpm, and the only programs I have running right now are Mail, Pages, and Chrome, and I'm not using Chrome to do anything but read (no video or in-browser games). I always make sure my MBP is on a platform so the vents don't get blocked, so I don't understand why it would be heating up this much, especially when I'm not running anything particularly heavy duty.

Help?

2. swl7 macrumors member

that's pretty strange. For a computer that's been running without any extensive applications, your fan speeds should be around 2000rpm and the CPU should be at about 55-60deg.

The thermal paste on your cpu unit might be sloppy which is making the fans work harder to cool your system. I would take it to the apple store since your issue is pretty reproducible and you can show them the fan speeds and cpu temperature.

however, before you do that, try resetting your PRAM and SMC since those can actually remedy your issue if your system has not been restarted in a while.