Fan Speed, Overheating, and shutting down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by daveJMT, Apr 23, 2009.

1. daveJMT macrumors newbie

my MacBook pro-- i can't watch videos online like the daily show with john stewart!
    the fans start going full blast-- up to 6000 rpm-- my main CPU goes up to 120 degrees. then the computer shuts down. any idea why it does this? happens when i work in photoshop sometimes too.

2. castanzarules macrumors member

regardless, it doesn't sound normal. I have a 2.0 unibody and i watch flash all the time. i'm assuming your "daily show" videos are flash. my temps skyrocket when using flash, as does every other macbook users but my computer never shuts down. take it to a genius maybe?

3. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

If your talking 120 celsius then yea your machine is was messed up. I imagine it is celsius since its shutting itself down. Take it in asap.

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It's not getting to 120C. The Core 2 Duos have a maximum operating temp of 105C, and IIRC they'll halt at about 5C below their max. From what I've seen, MacBook's typically go into thermal shutdown in the 90-100C range (depending on the model -- the Core Duos have a lower max operating temp and will shut down sooner...)

Still, thermal shutdowns are cause for warranty replacement, so take it in or call 1-800-SOS-APPL.

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Hah, my MacBook runs at 120F at idle most of the time. 120C would be very bad news indeed.

120C = 248F :eek:

6. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

yea when i watch flash it isnt really that bad and 120 f would be pretty good temp .