Fan Speed & SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Big Ron, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I replaced the drive in my 2009 Unibody A1342 MacBook with an EVO 840 250Gbyte. Everything works like a dream, the best update I ever did. I never really ran it with the original drive in it so can't comment on the fan noise in a "before & after" way.

I noticed however in other Forums that my MacBooks internal fans will run at 100% as a result of the SSD fit, presumably because the original HD has some sort of sensor on it.:eek:

Do I need to worry? I can't say I notice the fans running at 100%, maybe there ok, maybee they are broken and I havent noticed. I have heard them cutting in and out but I can't judge whether when they do kick in, if theyre at "max chat"

For info: my battery life is ok but I have noticed the base of the MacBook getting warm:eek:

Anyone any ideas?:cool:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no sensor for the drive in that model Macbook. What you may have read about is some iMac models have a sensor attached to the drive.

So you suspect your fans are running higher than normal? Open Activity Monitor and look in the CPU tab and sort by %CPU and see if anything there is consuming a high % of CPU time.

3. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks Weasel boy: Thinking back I did read about it in the iMac Forum.
    I'll take a look.

Andy Grove the ex CEO of Intel once said "Only the paranoid survive", so I guess I'm in good company :eek:

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I have noticed when replacing a harddrive in a couple macbooks that doing a smc reset helped reset fans back to normal speeds.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

your model

Shut down the computer.
    Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
    On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.

5. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks Tom; that appears to have settled things down:)