Fan speeding up. Getting annoyed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forza69, Nov 26, 2013.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I have a late 2012 model and I don't know if it's just me but every time I watch a video, no matter what website the video is coming from, almost immediately my fans start speeding up and I can hear them throughout the whole video. It's annoying to say the least. Shouldn't a powerful computer like the rMBP be able to play videos without having to speed up the fans? Is this normal? I still have about a month before my 1-year warranty expires, should I buy the extended 2 years?

I also don't have any other tabs open. I thought at first it was because I had a lot of tabs open, so lately I've only had one tab open at a time to test it out. Still happens.
    I'm on the latest version of Chrome.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. If there is increased heat, it's likely due to Flash, which is notorious for consuming system resources and driving up temps.

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

3. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Isn't Chrome a bit of a resource hogger?
    I don't have any fan noise playing any kind of flash video on mine in Safari even in fullscreen.

4. Doward macrumors 6502a

Macbook Pro Running Hot

Proof is in the pudding:

I can do a *lot* more with my system now, before the fans start kicking things up. I can watch full screen flash (in Chrome) and my fans MIGHT move from 2000rpm to 3000rpm. Still inaudible over the movie.

You're right, that would drive me insane listening to screaming fans all the time!