Fan Speeds (6000RPM)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mooey, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Mooey macrumors regular

Hey guys,

is there any way of reducing my fans' speeds? They are both around 6000RPM. The only other thing I could do is reformat, but my DVD drive doesn't work so I'm looking for other options.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If your computer isn't overheating and they are still that high, try resetting the SMC

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well what kind of programs/apps are you running?

4. Mooey thread starter macrumors regular

alust2013, I already tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM/SMC.

Right now I'm running just Google Chrome, Dropbox, and Quicksilver.

Edit: I've disabled my dashboard, and I'm not running any other background processes that I know of.

5. makinao macrumors regular

Could it be the websites you are visiting? That happens to me on Safari sometimes. Temps suddenly shoot up to the high 60's C, 6k rpm fan, and 99% cpu usage, even with flash blocked. But when I close Safari, it's back to low 50's C, 1800rpm, and 10% cpu. When I re-open Safari, things stay cool. Weird.

6. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Thats really high unless you are using some very intense apps. My is usually around 3000rpm with normal usage.

7. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

WowzeRs. What kind of MBP do you have?? The only time I get 6000+ RPMs is when I'm mega encoding rare diamonds or playing massive video games and/or doing both at the same time.

EDIT: I do enjoy 6k+ of fan speed. It really cools chit down via iStat. If your crap ain't cool'n down with that kind of speed you got issues.

8. Mooey thread starter macrumors regular

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (2.33 Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM). It's approximately four years old (just checked, it's exactly 48 months old - time for an upgrade, lol). I miss the days of old when my lap wasn't on fire and my fans would run happily across the fields.

It may need some intensive dust busting on the inside. I'll take it apart and look at it sometime tomorrow. I'll see if I can see also fix my DVD drive.

Thanks guys.

9. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Put it this way, with some gaming or video editing even my 2010 i5 MBP is hot on my lap and perhaps, sometimes, maybe, if there were beers involved, I would would put fire in the sentence.

Do you know your actual CPU temp in C or F?

10. chrfr macrumors 603

I had one of these at my old job where a thermal sensor failed and caused the fans to speed up to max within just a few seconds of the computer being turned on. It ended up needing a new logic board to fix it. With luck you won't have that problem.

11. Mooey thread starter macrumors regular

Right now my fans are at a comfortable 2000 RPM. Temperature is at 67 C. I have no idea why. I guess I tackled the problem by all the tinkering I did yesterday.

Off to play Minecraft.

12. mac-...-boy101 macrumors newbie

mac-...-boy101

Is there no 3rd party software to control fan speeds on macbook pro?:confused:

13. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

fancontrol

14. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i agree with this guy. running your fans at 6k rpm is the best thing to keep your mac cool, but its loud...