Fan speeds and temperatures - what to consider?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jshbckr, Jun 14, 2007.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Just recently, I realized that my mac pro may be running a little hotter than what other peoples' are. Then I realized that my apartment's air conditioning is broken, which probably makes it worse. Then, since my computer is running hotter, it's making my room even hotter.

Now aside from being bother from the heat emanating from the computer being bothersome, I'm starting to wonder what problems can arise from heat issues.

I've got an 8-core, with 5GB of RAM (4GB third party). My main temps usually sit around the top end of 60 degrees Celsius. I installed smc fan control and upped my fan speeds, and brought that down to lower 50s. I've also been shutting down my Mac Pro at night, mainly because my girlfriend couldn't handle the heat anymore. The room has cooled considerably.

What benefits will I see from this? Are there drawbacks to running fans harder? And when my air conditioning is fixed, will the computer cool off more/will I be able to turn down the fans again?

(P.S. Even with the fan speeds doubled, around 1100-1200 RPM, I can't hear them!)

2. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

There are no downsides to running the fans faster.

Your computer components may last longer from the lower temperatures, even if they were within norms before.

The final question is a question about physics..

If your comp is 60C, it will cool twice as fast in a 20C room than if the room was 40C. (is my math right? I haven't taken physics 1 in 2 years)

Basically, it cools slower and slower as it gets closer to room temperature. Therefore, if your room temperature is lower, your computer will be able to cool much more effectively.

3. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

New air conditioning unit being installed today! That should help things out a bit.

Also, I downloaded Temperature Monitor onto my PowerBook, and I noticed that it gives upper limit temps for each component. Why doesn't the Mac Pro have this feature in Temperature Monitor? I'd really like to be able to compare my current temps to what the upper limit is.