Fan speeds not detected

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FreddyT, Feb 3, 2010.

1. FreddyT macrumors newbie

Using both smcFanControl and istat, I cannot get a reading on my fan speeds. I can hear my exhaust fan spinning, but these programs tell me it is always at 000 rpm. Also, I don't think the fan control is working, as I don't hear an increase in fan speed when I make adjustments.

Does anyone know how I can get these apps to recognize my exhaust fan? Thanks

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Remove both smcFanControl and iStat properly, reset the SMC and then reinstall both again and see what happens.

3. jenny28583 macrumors newbie

Yep, that's what I'd do. Are you absolutely sure you can hear the fan and not something else? The hard drive can make a very faint noise too.
    Maybe your fan is fried?

4. FreddyT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your comments.

I trashed those apps and reset my SMC by taking out the battery and holding the power button for 5 seconds. However, after reinstalling smcFanControl, it still couldn't get any fan readings.

I suppose its possible the humming I'm hearing is actually coming from my hard drive, but I read that the fan is just about under the '7' button, and this does seem to be the center of the slight sound/vibration.

Is there any other way for me to check to see if the fan is working short of taking it apart?

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Start running 720p YouTube videos. That'll get the CPU temp up pretty quickly and in turn should cause the fan to ramp up after a bit of time. If you have a Unibody Aluminum model, it'll take a little longer.

6. jenny28583 macrumors newbie

Yeah, stream a few videos in parallel - sure fire to heat up the CPU. If the fan works, vou WILL hear it. If it doesn't your computer will eventually shut down to avoid overheating...not sure at which T though - around a 100˚C, I'd guess.

Could well be, that your fan is fried - wouldn't be the first one.