Fan speeds playing video games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KingYaba, Oct 9, 2007.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just wondering if it is normal for my fans to be spinning at 6,000 RPM when playing Warcraft III The Frozen Throne? :confused:

Yet when I play Call of Duty or Halo this machine is quiet as a mouse.

2.2ghz SR

2. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Personally, I have never noticed this. Usually the fans on my system continue to increase in speed as the game goes on until they reach either 4k or 6k rpm. It varies a lot depending not only on the game, but the complexity of the level within the game and if I have anything running in the background.

A lot of times I will use smcFanControl and set the fan speeds to 6k just because my MBP gets pretty hot, even with the fans at max speed.

3. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

Just a quick question - do I run a huge risk of damaging the fans if I'm playing a game on a MBP for an extended period of time? Spinning at a constant 6k rpms for a couple hours can't be great for them.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

^

If I were you, I'd care more about overheating and destroying the logic board or screen, as that's going to cost *far* more to replace than a cheap fan. When you look at it from a replacement perspective, would you rather have your fans go out ($100 reinstall at most) or pay several hundred dollars for a system failure brought on by not using said fans?

5. Animalk macrumors 6502

I play world of warcraft on my MBP (See my signature for specs). Every sitting is several hours minimum with my fans at full speed. So far no problems. It is built to work under these conditions. I've had my MBP run for 36 hours straight at full load on the cpu for a program I wrote. Use your MBP to the most.