Fan status

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hndn, May 9, 2009.

1. hndn macrumors regular

Hi,
    My white MB is 4 weeks old, everything is great. Earlier I play movie online & suddenly I heard the fan running, istat shows 4500rpm, is it normal?
    Normally the fan runs at 2000-2200rmp.
    Thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes, completely normal. When the CPU is working harder, it heats up, and the fan speeds up in response. The 4000 range is completely normal; most can run up to 6000+, and in any case no matter how loud it gets it won't spin faster than it's designed to.

Playing video in general will use plenty of CPU, but if by "online" you meant "in a flash player" (like YouTube), then you have Adobe to thank for that--most Flash based things on the Mac max out an entire processor core, which in turn spins the fans up. It got so annoying to me that I eventually turned on "flashblock" in my browser so my fans won't go berserk every time I have a window with a Flash ad in it open (which is ALWAYS, since they're everywhere).

Flash has sucked on the Mac basically since its inception, and while the recent Player 10 improved the situation significantly, significantly better than horrible is still pretty bad.

Bottom line, though, you're fine.

3. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks much. I just installed flashblock adds-on, one less thing to be irritated.