Fan stopping causes subtle "click" sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nejc92, Nov 5, 2015.

1. nejc92 macrumors newbie

I've recently bought a new macbook pro 13 retina (early 2015) and I've noticed that when the fan stops it causes a subtle but noticeable "click" sound. I was able to reproduce this with the yes stress test. To test this type yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & in the terminal, wait for the fan to start working and then stop the processes with killall yes. After a few seconds (I suspect when the fan is slowed down to the certain speed) a subtle "click" sound appears. Is the fan designed that way, so it doesn't spin unnecessarily? Or should I consider returning the unit? Thank you for the responses.

2. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

I used to have that on my 15" 2012 Mac Pro just had the right fan replaced recently and been fine ever since, I would book in with Apple and arrange a replacement, mine was only £18 as it was out of warranty.

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Yes, the fan is supposed to stop completely (this is a new thing, earlier models' fans used to idle), but I'm not sure about the click.

4. nejc92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been monitoring the temperatures and everything seems to be fine. It's just the click that bothers me, not sure if I should worry about it or not.