Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MAClover143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Long Island, NY
I don't know if everyone is aware of this but I just spoke to an AT&T Premier CSR and they informed me that anyone with a FAN discount had to go to AT&T to purchase the new iPhone. i was under the impression that only people opening up a business account needed to go to AT&T but this is not the case.

I figured I would let you guys know so that no one waited at Apple just to be disappointed.

trav

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
Wisconsin
I called as well and spoke with Erica. She said those of us with FAN discounts could go to Apple or AT&T. She checked with management, too. Personally, I hope everyone thinks I'm lying to slightly reduce Apple lines, but whatever!

MAClover143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Long Island, NY
I called as well and spoke with Erica. She said those of us with FAN discounts could go to Apple or AT&T. She checked with management, too. Personally, I hope everyone thinks I'm lying to slightly reduce Apple lines, but whatever!

I am going to call my local AT&T and Apple store to confirm. I don't understand why we would only be able to go to AT&T.

luckygyrl83

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Fullerton, CA
Yeah, Im still going to the Apple store. Some of the ATT people are annoying, trying to sell more of their crappy stuff. The discount can be applied to the bill at anytime. Im fine with that. Hopefully, there will be some nice accessories at Apple.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
I posted the original FAN issue

and can confirm that customers with a FAN will need to go to AT&T, period. While not considered a Business customer they are associated with accounts that are Business, your company. Apple will have a slimed down version of Opus that will not applow Business customers to come up and will just say ineligable. AT&T did not want to share or open up this information to apple,

I took my FAN off and within minutes it was gone. Makes not sense to risk it in my opinion.

statement seems clear to me

"Apple retail stores will not be able to help business customers who wish to move to iPhone 3G. Business customers are categorized as anyone who has a portion (or all of) their wireless bill paid for by their employer, or receives discounts on their mobile phone by working for their employer."

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/512909/

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
You can setup your FAN online or over the phone after buying at an Apple store.

The reason Corperate have to go to AT&T is because they have a special plan that is tied with their company. Apple doesn't have the indivitual plan information for every company, that belongs to AT&T. They, however, can do the basic adding your FAN just like you can yourself at Apple. (or if they can't then like I said... you can your self with 1 phonecall or from the website on your spankin' new phone)

@ Post above me ^^^^^

"or receives discounts on their mobile phone by working for their employer" does not mean gets a discount on their bill. There is a difference. A lot of employers pay for the PHONE as well if you need a blackberry or something like that. For that they want you at an AT&T store.

MAClover143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Long Island, NY
and can confirm that customers with a FAN will need to go to AT&T, period. While not considered a Business customer they are associated with accounts that are Business, your company. Apple will have a slimed down version of Opus that will not applow Business customers to come up and will just say ineligable. AT&T did not want to share or open up this information to apple,

I took my FAN off and within minutes it was gone. Makes not sense to risk it in my opinion.

statement seems clear to me

"Apple retail stores will not be able to help business customers who wish to move to iPhone 3G. Business customers are categorized as anyone who has a portion (or all of) their wireless bill paid for by their employer, or receives discounts on their mobile phone by working for their employer."

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/512909/

How do I remove my FAN discount?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.