Fan turning on and off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cave Man, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have an i7 MBP and this morning I discovered that its fan is turning on and off at about 2 second intervals. It only occurs when the lid is closed and (seemingly) when the battery is at full charge (i.e., the mag safe is green). As soon as I open the lid the fan comes on and stays on for 30 seconds or so then shuts off as if the system has cooled. Any ideas what this is about?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

So your saying when the battery is at full charge and the laptop is asleep the fan revs ? Like VVRRROM..... VVROOOOM!....?

3. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Would you mind taking a video? It would further assist us, in trying to help you.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

they shouldn't turn off, you sure their not just running so quiet you can't hear them? ie the usual 2k rpm.

6. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

What kind of surface do you have it on? Maybe the heat from the battery at full charge and plugged is pushing your temp over the limit to where it triggers the fans. Seems like a weird scenario for a new MPB.

7. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

There's not much to put on video. The fans spin up for a couple of seconds, then go quiet for a couple of seconds. This repeats continuously, but only with the MBP closed and when the battery is fully charged.

That may be; if they're not turning off they're so quiet that I can't hear them.

Upright in my bag or sitting on top of a chair. In each case the vents are not obstructed. But the batteries sure are hot.

That didn't work, unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions - keep them coming!

8. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

I ran the battery completely down, then recharged and the problem seems to have gone away. Weird.