fan usually loud?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kurri, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Kurri macrumors 6502

just bought the new macbook air, i7 8gb ram. was loading music from an external hard drive and photos to iPhoto and the fan kicked in. Very loud. Is this normal for just uploading photos and music from an external drive? should I be concerned at all?

2. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

No not at all external HD tend to use a lot of power

3. motrek macrumors 68020

No, Apple's software does a lot of CPU-intensive stuff when it's loading songs and photos (detecting beginnings/ends of songs to make transitions smoother, and detecting faces in photos, that sort of thing).

Perfectly normal for the fan to spin up. Won't happen too often.

4. Kurri thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I import stuff all the time and can't hear my fan, pretty much stays at the 2,000-3,000 RPM, but then am running a 1.5 Ghz i5. Then again, whenever I see it I always like to configure thing to be QUIET, rather than PERFORMANCE, so I forget if I did something similar to my OSX.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

If you're just importing a few songs or pictures at a time then it will not heat up the CPU enough to spin up the fan any significant amount.

The OP is presumably talking about importing his entire media libraries, since it's a brand new computer. That probably means at least a few minutes of 100% CPU use.