Fan vibration or HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJohm, Jul 13, 2010.

1. DJohm macrumors member

Hello fellas, first time post here and a noob question. I've had my MBP 2.4 i5 since early June and I noted a noticeable vibration. I'm not quite sure if it's the fan working or the HDD spinning. istat shows my fan running at 2000 on average both left and right, GPU and CPU temp around 38 on normal operation such as browsing on safari. The reason I asked is because my older MBP 2.16 C2D (3 years old) seem to not have this issue or characteristic. I would even notice the vibration with my hand resting on the desk the new MBP sits in. This happens even with waking-up the MBP from cold sleep. As stated, no intense app or tasks are involved, just plain browsing thru safari. Thanks in advance for your opinions on what this may be related to or any advice you all might have for me.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try increasing the fans speeds with SmcFanControl to see if the vibration becomes stronger. If it doesn't, it's the HD

3. DJohm thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded the Smc Fan control just now, before I start it I just want to make sure that the new MBP does not have a fan control software built-in, does it?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No Mac has built-in fan control as far as I know

5. DJohm thread starter macrumors member

I increased the RPM and it seems to just make that louder fan noise (Good tool to have BTW). Vibration remained the same. So i guess it's the HD. Is that normal for this line of MBP? Thanks HHammer for your input.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't count vibration as normal, especially if you don't have 7200rpm HD. Give Apple a call or visit the nearest Apple store

7. DJohm thread starter macrumors member