Fan Wear Using smcFanControl?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ~Shard~, May 20, 2008.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've started using smcFanControl (great little app by the way!) to increase the fan speeds within my iMac thus decreasing the temperatures. The processor isn't as much of a concern to me as the hard drive (as heat kills hard drives ;)), and I know some will argue this isn't necessary, but that's not the point of this thread...

What I'm wondering is, by increasing the rpm of the fans, will this result in any significant acceleration of wear on the fans? Will they "burn out" quicker, obviously creating an even more serious problem? ;) Or does increasing fan speed by a few hundred rpm (or even doubling it for that matter) only contribute a negligible amount to reducing the fan's overall lifespan?

In other words, am I worrying about nothing? They are just fans after all... :eek:

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Thanks for asking... I'd like to know this as well too. The slightly higher noise doesn't bother me, so I installed this as well, but removed it shortly after for the same concerns.

I was thinking about setting it to around 3000rpm which shouldn't have too much impact but would like to know other people experience.

Regards,

Wayne

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Unfortunately there is no way to answer your question. Fans can be good for a week, or they can be good for years. All depends on the individual fan itsself. They are designed to run and spin so your not going to harm it by allowing it to do what its made to do.

4. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for the reply, I'm fine with that answer. :)

5. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Now funnily enough, i use SMC fan control and i did tend to keep the fan revs up to max to keep my MacBook cool.............and my fan failed after 7 months......

Replaced under applecare i now keep the fans revs down to the normal speeds, unless i feel it needs a bit of help in the cooling department.....maybe i just had a bad fan to start with , who knows ?

6. chscag macrumors 68000

I would be more concerned about the CPU than the hard drive. Hard drives are inexpensive and easy to replace when compared to the cost of replacing the CPU and motherboard.

Increasing fan speeds will over time cause them to wear out quicker as well as creating a higher noise level. Noise doesn't bother some folks though.

Your concern is real. I have SmcFanControl installed on my MacBook but use it sparingly and only when it's needed. For most of the time I keep it set on the recommended Apple setting for my machine. However, I have found when running WinXP from within Fusion the CPU heats up faster and the fan speed does not increase as quick as it does when running programs from OS X.

Regards.

7. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

That sucks. :( I have not bumped my fans up to max for fear of that very consequence, so I have only bumped up the speeds on the proc by 400 rpm and the HDD more significantly, but still by only 1000 rpm, far less than the maximum allowable of over 6000 rpm from the looks of it.

Good, I'm glad to hear it worked out in the end. As you say, who knows though about the fan - that's a tough one to troubleshoot...

I appreciate that. The reason I said I am more focused on cooling my HDD rather than my proc though is that my proc seems to be running very comfortably within recommended limits. If it was running excessively hot I would be more concerned, but as such, I am not. The temperature of the hard drive on the other hand gets up there at times, and as I said in my initial post, heat does kill HDDs, so although they are replaceable I'd still like to keep it running at a respectable level to hopefully prolong its longevity.

Nah, the noise doesn't bother me, as this machine runs amazingly quiet as it is. And as you say, it makes total sense that the more something is used or the more stress that is put on it, it will indeed wear out more quickly, but as I initially questioned (and the reason for this thread), I was just curious if that added stress of a few extra hundred rpm was really significant in the grand scheme of things.

Interesting, good to know.

I understand that Apple wouldn't set default fan settings at levels which are not acceptable to start with, so the argument could be made "why even use a utility like this?", but if it doesn't do any harm then I see no reason not to keep your machine running a bit cooler. At the end of the day, perhaps it's not a big deal though except under certain circumstances.... :eek:

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated. :cool: