Fan wont Spin Up at High Temperatures!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Juusuhako, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Juusuhako macrumors newbie

I've recently uninstalled Fan Control and smcFanControl from my Macbook Pro, after trying them for a minute or two. I reset my SMC by using the method on Apples website (Clicking Shift-CTRL-Option-Power Button at the same time).

It havent worked it seem, as I have tried running some games and even at 85-90C degree, its not increasing its RPM. I dont wanna go any higher as I dont wanna risk the CPU overheating.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

2. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I noticed the same problem yesterday but I am using iStat Menus. I was heating up to about 87 and the fans didnt kick on past the normal 2000 rpms. Makes me wonder whether or not all this 3rd party fan control is doing more harm than good.

3. Juusuhako thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't iStat Menus simply keep track of the fans current RPM, rather than being able to adjust it?

Either way, im still looking for possible solutions.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fans won't spin faster unless a high enough temp is sustained for a period of time. They won't necessarily spin up if you hit high temps for brief periods. 85-90C is not an unusually high temp.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The lastest (non-free) version of iStat menus does include a fan control option in its settings.

6. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Why'd you delete smcfancontrol to begin with?

7. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

When I read the smcfancontol documents, it states that it still allows the macbook to increase fan speed under load, it just allows you to set the minimum fan speed to a higher level (e.g. - 4000 rpm vs. 2000 rpm).

8. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

i've never heard my macbook pro fans spin up ever. i've had it for a month. should i be worried? i was playing tf2 the other day and the temps were in the 80's (celcius) and the fans stayed at 2k rpm, as far as i can tell. is this normal?

what temperatures do the fans actually get going?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that's normal. It's not that the fans will spin up when a target temp is reached. There are sensors that monitor temps of GPU, CPU, etc. and your system knows what temps need to be reached and for what duration before the fans will spin faster. Your MBP can monitor and manage the temps much better than any user can. Just let it do what it does.