Fanboy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Seeing a lot of this word bandied about recently... is it acceptable? Does it bring anything to the table apart from being inflammatory?

Are people who use the word freely equally guilty of an unthinking response?

Do you think of yourself as a fanboy or fangirl? Is it such a bad thing?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think those people exist so the word should be used if it fits.

I think there are different extremes to the word. There is massive fan boy and then casual.

The term fanboy to me would be any person that agrees with something no matter how right or wrong their beliefs may be. I like Apple but I will admit when they are wrong, some people don't think they can ever do anything bad.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Those are good questions. I think it gets used a few ways and not always in the negative sense. But when used negatively, people seem to consider it to be highly insulting.

And yes, I guess I would consider myself a fanboy. Not in the sense that I think Apple can do no wrong, just that...well...I'm a fan.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see how it can be an insult, if a person is such a fanboy that they are borderline being an ass then I think it has merit. I know that is an extreme but it does exist.

I think the term works best for video games.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Blue - I'm afraid I helped you into this post - sorry for that. I just can't stand when people have problems with, or criticism against Apple - getting pounced on and torn apart.

Obviously I like Apple - or I wouldn't be on these forums so much - but whenever people don't like a change - or have a problem with something - so many are eager to jump on, or belittle them.

That to me, is Fanboyism - then again - this IS an Apple enthusiast Forum - and I should expect it to a degree.

As for what I am? I feel I am too poor and too ignorant to be an Apple fanboy. My girlfriends have called me a nerd, people always ask me for technical help at work (especially with computers) - so I think I'm just a Nerd that isn't really too smart. So - I think I'd be a Dork or something.

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Nothing wrong with being a fan of something, only when someone tries to belittle others for what they are a fan of.

Although liking things is so, like, uncool, y'know?

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Here is what Wiki has to say about this. fanboy

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

9. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Nearly wet myself when I saw your question, until I looked it up in google. In my language (Glaswegian) it means something quite rude! It's a shortening of the word 'fanny' which in America means your behind (and so the word passes the swear filter) but in Scotland it means a lady's private bits.

Hence calling somebody a fanboy or fannyboy in Glasgow is to call them a vagina!

Just goes to show the difference in cultures!

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I don't like it. I mostly see that word being bandied about here as a way of shutting others down. It's worse when they replace the 'y' with the 'i' - I at least have never seen it being used in a positive manner on these boards.

Most of the time, I think those who use the word use it to defend themselves when they are challenged on a point and can't come up with anything constructive to retort with.

In the end, it is name-calling. And any form of name-calling should be frowned upon.

To clarify, I have never been called that word.

irmongoose

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe as a whole not the active user base tho.

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I thought it was 98%?

13. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

No, you didn't. I haven't been reading your posts, but if the shoe fits... ;)

That's another meaty topic for another time; how people project tone and their specific involvement onto entirely unrelated comments, whether by email or forum post.

I like Apple stuff but I'd be the last to say it's all perfect. In fact, I get more aggravated by flaws in Apple stuff because I don't expect to see sloppy work where it shouldn't be. And I hate their secrecy over the smallest of things; makes corporate planning and buying really difficult.

I guess it's all relative. To the IT guys in the office, I'm clearly an obnoxious fangirl... but here, I feel more at home. Oh no. :eek: :D

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It is when you include the 1% of fangirls.

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

"No, you didn't. I haven't been reading your posts, but if the shoe fits... "

Ouch! Burrrrn.

I only said that because your post was relatively close to my participation in this thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=404283

(which you had participated in)

My ASSumption. Sorry.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I want to think the majority of people here know when Apple did something wrong.

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

TrustedReviews.com have used the term 'fanboi' to describe all Mac users in several recent articles, which is unfortunate because they used to be above such pathetic jibes at a platform and community that they seem to barely understand. It has put me right off :( Seems to be coming from their newer, younger (and crapper) staff, which is possibly a sign that it's generational?

As you can probably tell, I find it inflamatory :D

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

For every Apple fanboy you get 5 more Windows ones.

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I see a lot of threads and blogs (in MR and around the internets) using the word fanboy as an insult or as a way to invoke an angry response. People through out a lot of words to generalize everything. A friend of mine was looking up some stuff on my MBP at a local coffee shop. Some guy walked by him stood next to me at the counter and said "Heh, fanboys, hu?" This friend of mine owns not one single Apple product. Just using an Apple product makes one a fanboy I guess.

Being a fanboy or a fangirl is not a bad thing. There are different extremes however. Some may just prefer to purchase an Apple product over the same product from some other company. Some do take it to extremes though. I consider myself a fanboy. I own a number of Macs and have a few classic Apple products displayed around the house. I stood in line for my iPhone. However, I am still a consumer. If Apple releases a product that is just not what I am looking for I will not buy it. Case in point. Apple makes the mighty mouse. It even came with my Mac Pro. I hate the thing, so I got a Logitech.

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think its just a mindless insult thats about the same level as sticking your tongue out at someone in real life. Its usually accompanied by a lack of any reason or substance.

I think its just indicative of the internet culture where people feel free to be much ruder online than they would ever be in person. It demonstrates a lack of integrity if you ask me.

21. mpw Guest

I don't think I've ever come across anybody I'd call a MS fanboy, I've certainly come across more of Apple's. I'd admit there are plenty of people who like specific features of MS Windows, myself included, but none that love the company and all it's products in the way some people seem to with Apple.

That's seen as an insult?! When I do it I'm normally coming onto the person:eek:

And to be honest, if I am rude, I'm moreso in person than across the internet.

22. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I too am nicer here than I am IRL. Seriously. Yeah, I've got issues.

23. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Is it true that everytime you hear a bell ring a fanboy gets a new mac?

@Blue
    I feel that the term is used when one person is wearing a blinder to the imperfections of a company, be it windows or apple.
    I think the ones that really get offended are the ones that never admit they are wrong, and never admit that their preferred computer could be better/bested.
    I think every else is rational enough not to get mad at it, laugh it off, and learn a little bit more about the pros and cons of OSes and machines.

EDIT:
    With that being said, Happy Holidays to everyone, fanperson (gotta be pc) or not.

24. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

This is great. Now whenever I call someone a fanboy, anybody that read this thread will know what I really mean.

25. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

It feels to me like a word that was designed to be sneeringly derogatory. People who use it freely are perhaps on auto-pilot and are using it the same way they'd toss "right-wing" or "liberal" into a discussion having political content. But their concern is apparently that the alleged fanboi is the one on autopilot.

So am I a fangirl? Yes and no. I'm a huge FAN of Apple design. I've also had great luck with my own purchase and use of Apple equipment.

But I'm up front and vocal when I'm not happy with something Apple has done or not done. On the other hand, I don't automatically think the customer is always right. What people sometimes call a "sense of entitlement" is a huge problem. Thinking that one is so special as to be immune to a round of bad luck is part of that syndrome.

How does getting a DOA iPod translate to "Apple sucks?" And yet some people do make that translation and then call us fanbois if we say "Hold on a mo, just get yer iPod fixed and then enjoy it!" Well go ahead and call me a fangirl but I'll still say the odds of enjoying an Apple product from the outset are very high. Apple would not still be making iPods if most people owning them didn't enjoy them.

Finally, I didn't come to MacRumors because of its overarching reputation for celebrating the intrinsic value of the overhead camshaft engine. I figured it would be a place where people who own Apple stuff would hang out and shoot the breeze. And, I was right. I'm always right! I'm a MacRumors fangirl!