FanControl on the MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d wade, Nov 4, 2007.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

As most people who own MBP's know, they can get quite hot.

Well i got this amazing app called FanControl that has cooled my laptop down drastically.

my computer right now is at 121°F when before i had the app was usually around 147°F

my settings right now are currently:

Base Speed: 2400RPM
    Lower Threshold: 106°F
    Upper Threshold: 162°F
    Left Fan: ~3500 RPM
    Right Fan:~3500 RPM

My question is, are these settings adequate? can they be improved? what are the best settings to keep the FanControl at?

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Just delete the app.

Let the machine run at Apple-approved factory settings, if you dont want to get any sorts of trouble.

3. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Apple isn't perfect.

4. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I have this installed.

Instead of getting 90C fully loaded its now 70C.

Oh and at sub 40C its now 1000RPM.

Great App :)

5. JWest macrumors 6502

FanControl isn't harmful at all. It never lets the fans go slower than the Apple settings, so there's no risk. It just makes the computer run cooler.

6. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

so..... anyone know the best settings to keep it at? or is my current setup fine? i've noticed a HUGE difference in temperature, just curious if i could improve even more.

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I use SMCfancontrol but I assume they're similar.

I run at 3000RPM and it keeps me around 100F

Its not audible unless I hold my ear to the computer so its fine for me. My xbox across the room is louder.

8. siren77 macrumors member

what's the ideal temperature the macbook pro should be running at? I bought one last week and the left side of the keyboard gets pretty warm. I'm using SMCFancontrol to bring down the temperature. I'm just wondering this temperature problem is prevalent across all macbook pros and what the "normal" temperature should be.

9. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I try to keep mine below 60C while doing normal web browsing, chatting, and itunes. If I am doing CS3 work I try to keep it below 75C. Video editing and DVD ripping/burning I'll let it go to 85C before getting concerned.

The machines are designed to take the heat. It just becomes a problem when it won't cool off or stays ridiculously hot for very long periods.

10. siren77 macrumors member

Yeah mine is usually around the same temperature. But the left side is always really warm (I can feel the heat an inch above the keyboard when it gets really hot) while the right side is always cool. Is that normal?

11. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

to siren77:
    That is where the HD is, so if you are doing anything that is accessing the drive continuously, it's going to heat up.

Download iStat pro and check what the various temps are around your computer.

to everyone:
    Another thing to take into consideration is the ambient room temp.

12. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

mine always runs around 41c while web browsing with ichat, itunes, mail, stickies, and maybe photoshop idling. when i use photoshop for the big stuff it might hit high 50's celcius, but if it gets 60+ then i up the fans to full blast. i usually have them running at 3000rpm. (3079rpm and 42c right now, and i am using firefox, ichat, itunes, mail, and stickies with leopard).

overall, leopard seems to run a lot cooler than tiger. core animation/graphics, maybe?

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'm not restricting you from doing anything. Its your machine, so do what you like with it.

As for me, I'm fine with temps of my MacBook (not Pro, but temps are similar) without 3rd party fan-controlling solutions.

14. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Ideal temps?

I use a Belkin "stand" thing that the laptop sits on , it has a usb plug that powers a fan. It seems to cool machine down OK, but as we all know..MBP is kinda short on USBs.
    I have a little applet in Dashboard called iStat Nano. It is kind of a Ctrl Panel type thing, it has temps, mem , etc. A watchdog I guess.
    Which temps are we speaking of?
    CPUa- Diode-Heatsink- A and B, also enclosure temp and memory controller
    My diode is 146 right now, while eclosure is 86*. The otheres run from 124 to 108 dgrees.(I have the Belkin thing off right now) What is the ideal temp?

15. 1wildman1 macrumors newbie

Macbook 2009 Mid right fan not working?

Hey, I was worried that my macbook was over heating so I downloaded a Fan Control app. My Base speed is 2400 RPM, the lower threshold is 40C and the Upper threshold is 70C. The temperature is around 55C right now. The left fan is going at 4053 RPM. (Which seems extremely high) The right fan says its going at -1 RPM which doesn't sound right. Is the right fan not working? Should I have it looked at?

16. mape2k macrumors regular

Why is this posted then?

1000 RPM is certainly lower than what Mac OS is setting as its lowest value.

17. kemo, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Thats why Im using smcFanControl - its free and perfectly fit my needs. I have set couple of "presets" and if there is specific work Im gonna do, I just set the correct preset when needed.

https://skitch.com/tehkemo/gm3if/smcfancontrol

Anyway when the temperature gets high - Apple's own system detects it has to add some rpm so it does.

I can really recommend this app.

Also I have tested several cooling pads and no1 convinced me to buy it so I decided to make my very own pad with - I have made it from polystyrene, plywood, 2x 8cm fans, and 12V Transformer. It actually cools my mac up to 10 Celsius. Ill post some photos later since Im in the office atm.

18. PoseidonMac macrumors member

Any chance of getting some photos of this? I am interested in making my own and am weighing design options. Thanks.

19. sgtcasey macrumors newbie

I haven't yet tried any of the apps to control fan speed, but to anyone using it now by speeding up the fans and helping keep your machine cooler don't you get annoying with the noise from the fans?

Dave

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You can take of the bottom cover and put the laptop on some sort of stand... someone here reported that it brought his temps down by over 10C, and costs nothing ;)

(not recommended of course... just saying)

21. kemo, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Sure, here you go:

http://flickr.com/gp/tehkemo/gcD01U/

Its nothing fancy you know, but it works! :)

22. PoseidonMac macrumors member

Thanks Kemo. Simple and a fun DIY for the weekend.

23. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

You're welcome, dont forget to post what have you done over the weekend :)

24. denmans, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

denmans macrumors newbie

rt fan

similar problem with mine. Any answers?

25. denmans macrumors newbie

Turns out there's only one fan in the Macbook, giving that spurious reading. I had my heat sink cleaned out and re lined and it's fine now.