Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
Open invitation to any thirsty mac users!

A fun drink up with a small but growing group of london mac users. Its a monthly event for us, and its always more enjoyable when there are new faces.

We meet in the Regent street apple store between 6 and 6:30 on Friday, then head over to the bars and pubs of soho.

Conversation will be geeky. Drinks will be drunk. If that sounds like your cup of tea reply or PM or email me so I know how many to expect and we don't leave without you.

Hope to see you there

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
if i was in london i would have joined you for a beer or two ,

good idea though for a meet up - maybe us macrumors brits should meet up more often for a social beer :cool:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah I'm in, just give me about 24 hours and time to get a plane ticket...and drinking money...and money to pay heed at the Apple Store.

I wish we had a proper Apple Store. My local AppleCentre is OK but I have been to a proper, albeit small one in Boston and it just doesn't compare. The best we have is the AppleCentreTaylorSquare with the academy and theatre and guest card that gives you free drinks - soft drinks though. It's a pity, you'd think a big Apple Centre like that would have a bar in it.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Chundles said:
I wish we had a proper Apple Store.

Tell me about it. The Centers are OK, but nothing all that special. Maybe I should go into business with Apple and open the first one. Like that'll ever happen!

I honestly wonder why we don't have any here yet. Is the market that insignificant?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
max_altitude said:
Tell me about it. The Centers are OK, but nothing all that special. Maybe I should go into business with Apple and open the first one. Like that'll ever happen!

I honestly wonder why we don't have any here yet. Is the market that insignificant?

Actually, it probably is....:(

Same demographics and incomes as the bigger countries, UK, USA, Japan, Canada etc but with a population equal to that of the city of Los Angeles. There's no way around it, we're pretty small fish.

I would like to see one in Sydney either in Pitt St. Mall or George St. Maybe even on the harbour under "The Toaster" or somewhere in The Rocks. Actually, The Rocks would be sweet, nothing looks better than a perfect blend of convict cut Sydney sandstone and the shimmering glass of a full blown Apple Store.

Melbourne would be good too, a flagship in Bourke St. Mall and maybe a smaller one in Chapel St. or somewhere like that.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
It would be awesome in the GPO Building on Bourke St - they did it up not long ago and it is extreme stylish and classy inside - perfect for an Apple store. Chapel would be very cool, as would Melbourne Central (which they've also recently done up). Actually Melb Central would be the best because that would allow for multiple stories...*drools*

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Great idea! The Regent's St. store is ideally suited for the start of a night out. If it's a regular occurrence, I might make it to one, I'm in London fairly often too.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Man that sounds awesome. :cool: I could go for a pint of boddington's, even newcastle. Too bad it's 8:25am. :D

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
To clarify, yes it is a regular montly event, amongst members of various mac forums.

It is this friday, i.e. tonight (10th march)

I can guarantee a minimum of 4 of us, but a usual figure is 10-12 or so

I haven't been to every meet up, but i did notice a decidedly male slant. Women are most welcome, but you would probably be in the minority (as a female mac geek you may be used to this by now) Don't be afraid, we are all nice though.

I'm 25, some are younger, some are older. This was all originally set up by my friend doz as a bit of a "younger mac geeks leaving the house event" as the london mac users group (http://www.lmug.org.uk) while fun has a slightly older age bracket to it.

I can guarantee if you come you will have a great time. unless you don't like getting drunk, geeking out and chatting mac amongst people you have a common interest with ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.