Fancy dress

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jabingla2810, Sep 28, 2009.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

A friend has invited me to her house for some drinks on her birthday.

Sounded good, and I said i'd come, so she knows I havent got any other plans.

Now shes decided its fancy dress and everybody has to dress up as an animal!

I have never done fancy dress, I hate it.... I get angry when I see a group of people all dressed up as wrestlers from the 80's and think they are the funniest thing in the world.

Usually, a party thats going to be fancy dress is anounced as a fancy dress party from the beginning, and I can lie and say i've got other plans.

But this time, I cant.

I know im not going to go, thats fact, but whats the nicest way to go about it.

Im not going to go in my normal clothes, because I'd look like a miserable bastard being the only one not dressed up in a wacky outfit.

Which is true, but I cant help that I dont like doing it....

I dont mind when people say, come to my party, you can dress up if you fancy, but whatever, just come and get drunk..... but this is now, "Everyone Has to dress up as animals!"

Long rant for what is essentially a simple problem, I know.

Advice;

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's a bit ridiculous of her to insist upon it. If you want to go but don't want to dress up, you could make cheeky puns about being an animal within, not needing a costume and crap like that. May help to practice your "RAAAAWR" beforehand too. (if you can pull off cheesy like that)

I am going to take a guess that you may not be the only one thinking this very thing and you may not be the only one not to dress up.

Alternatively, you could take a plush toy and say you misunderstood the directions and brought an animal.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Best not to go. Just say you're not going because you're no fun. Just tell her the truth.

They don't think they're the funniest thing in the world. They're just enjoying themselves. Perspective is very important in this case, I think. You're not having fun, and they are, so their laughing is just making you feel sick, as it does with most people who have no personality.

I wouldn't like an animal theme (too difficult), but since I've actually gone to a fancy dress party with my face painted like a tiger, and I was wearing an orange t-shirt and pants (yes, I found orange pants for around $5 from Salvation Army), I think you should either tell your friend what I told you to say, or just suck it up and not be such a bore.

Fancy dress parties so common here in Australia, and yes, we just try to enjoy it. Sometimes it's more fun than you'd think, so it works out well.

5. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

I understand that im probably the odd one out.... and part of me wishes I did enjoy these things like everybody else.

But I dont, so yeah, maybe my hatred stems from jealousy that I cant enjoy those things like everybody else.

Anyway, yeah I might just take a teddy bear.... and just get drunk, lol

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was being harsh.

You have a personality. You just don't like parties, or don't like the pressure.

Or perhaps you're not very social, and parties make you feel like you need to act all crazy and keep up with everyone else.

I don't know. Just don't go and act miserable. If you're not going to be happy, either go and PRETEND to be, or don't go and make yourself miserable. It may be more enjoyable than you think, or it may suck. I think you should just go and take a risk, since you can just get a crappy costume from a party store and get away with doing the absolute minimum to fit in (lots of others will be doing the same).

7. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

That really is me down to a tee!
    Im not being sarcastic.
    I definatly dont like being in big groups of people, and I do feel pressure when I am in those situations....

I think ill probably go in the end....a party is a party, so nobody will care weather or not im in fancy dress when I arrive, lol :)

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Do this, but in the nude.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I never heard of a fancy party. I guess they are not very common here. I had assumed from the title you would be talking about Tuxes and Gowns in a ball room.

Basically the online parties I have heard of with any dressing up are.
    - Costume: For Halloween (but no them for a specific type); New Years (Rarely)
    - Formal: Gowns, Tuxes, Suits (Weddings, rich person events)
    - Lingerie: self explanatory
    - Pool/Beach/Lake: Swimsuits

Anyways just tell the truth. If you had known from the onset that this was going to be a fancy party you would have declined. There is nothing wrong with that. Unless this is to celebrate a special occasion it really should not matter. Your friend will likely give you a hard time, which friends do when they want you to join the fun, but should not really care.

Just don't go and be miserable. It ruins the party for others that like this sort of thing.

11. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

jabingla2810 - XnavxeMiyyep's suggestion would be absolutely EPIC! Surely that will be the last time your friend invites you to a fancy dress party!

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

This thread has inspired me to have a "fancy dress" party. What should my theme be?

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It means costume party, which you sussed out by the end but I thought I'd confirm. I was thrown the first time I heard it referred to as fancy dress when I moved here.

14. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I also have something against fancy dress parties.

I don't know why, I just really have never ever been into them. If it's a big enough party I tend just not to go, no one'll notice anyway.

If not, say you're sick.

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Except the difference seems to be a theme to the costumes rather than any costume you wish. I think dressing up in costume is fun. But dressing up in a specific costume theme sounds pretty weak.

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Go with a minimalist outfit that is clever. You won't feel "all dressed up" and people will think you were really smart about how you interpreted the event. For example, wear totally normal clothes, but have a tail hanging out of the back of your pants coming down. If someone says something about you costume, show them your tail and say "the real animal comes out when your clothes come off!" Other examples would be whiskers painted on you or some ears of some kind. The point is just do one part and that's it. It's sort of like doing enough to get you in the door and after a few hours no one is going to care about what other people are wearing anyway.

Another idea is to do nothing at all and arrive late. Tell everyone you got caught up with something and didn't have time to go home and change before coming over. Then you ask everyone, preferably people you are attracted to, to help you create a costume from what they have. You'll end up with bits and pieces of other people's costumes and they will have fun helping you out. It's also a good way to meet new people. However, if your shy then this second approach may not be good for you.

17. Queso macrumors G4

It could be the best party ever that you're missing, the one all your friends will talk about for years to come.

Wear your ordinary clothes and just add a head and hands costume combo. That way you can remove those once you've shown you're not a misery guts, and get on with enjoying yourself :)

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

'Golf Pros and Tennis Hoes."

In case that isn't clear: men go as golf pros, women dress like tennis players....skanky tennis players. It's easy.

However, "School boy and girl" is the easiest for everyone to do, and some girls look really hot.....

19. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You sir are a genius. Will discuss with the girlfriend tonight. Might be fun for role playing as well. ;)