Fans always running high RPM! MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dequix, Dec 15, 2011.

1. dequix macrumors newbie

Hi!

I bought a new 15" MacBook Pro about three weeks ago.
    Specifications:
    CPU: 2,4 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
    OS X Lion 1.7.2

I have a major problem with the computer that is starting to get really annoying, and it's the fans. The fans are always running at a very high RPM, even in idle mode. They are running in about 3500-4500 RPM when I'm just browsing the internet with Safari, and nothing else is open. The CPU temp is about 50°C (122°F). Maybe that is too hot? The other parts such as GPU, HD, etc. is at normal temps around 30-45°C (86-113°F).

When I, for example, go to YouTube (so Flash is activated), the fans go crazy. They are so loud that it's almost impossible to watch the video.

I have tried different fan control applications, such as smcFanControl, but nothing solves the problem.

My previous Mac, a 13" MacBook Pro from 2009, was always very quiet, and I could only hear the fans if I had a lot of demanding applications open.

I have done the Apple hardware test, but there are no errors. I am currently using iStatPro to monitor the temps and fan speeds. The CPU is only working with 1-2% when browsing Safari or doing other simple tasks.

I have searched around the web for a solution to this problem, but I haven't found anything that has worked. If there is anyone who can help me, please do!

Thank you so much!

Regards, Anton

2. GGJstudios, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.

For YouTube, you may want to switch to HTML5, whenever possible. Use ClickToPlugin & ClickToFlash Safari extensions to control which Flash content plays.

3. dequix thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I know that the fans always spin at about 2000 RPM, but it is ridiculous when they are working at about 3500 - 4500 RPM. It's a huge difference.

Right now, when I am writing this, the fans are so loud that I have to use headphones to be able to hear the music properly.

I have tried resetting the SMC, but it did not work.

As I wrote, the computer is only a couple weeks old, so it shouldn't be having these sort of problems... It is becoming impossible for me to use the computer, because of the heat developing in my room, and the very, very annoying noise all the time.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, the fans will spin faster as needed, when system demands drive up heat. This is especially true with Flash content on websites, which places high demands on the system. There are some things you can check, beyond the tips I've already given, to maximize performance and minimize demands on your system resources, which may help with the heat and the fans:

Performance tips for Mac OS X

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

bring it back to Apple.

The fan control seems to be messed up. My fans only spin up (i.e. above 2000 rpm) when the temperature goes above 80C. Idle and with the CPU at 50C (this temperature is fine btw), I don't hear them.

Did you observe this behavior right when you took it out of the box, or only after you installed software (e.g. fancontrol software).

6. dequix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your tips.
    But I hardly believe that this is something that has to do with what starting applications (which is only Safari and Growl), or disabling flash. Something has got to be wrong with the hardware.

Thanks!

I believe so too.
    Yes, the computer had these problems right from the box. I didn't really know what to believe, since I had a 13" MacBook Pro with much less performance before this Mac. So I didn't really know if it was normal for the fans to do this or not.

I will take it back to Apple :apple:, and see what they will do. Since the computer only is a couple of weeks old, it will go on the warranty, right? I don't have to pay?

Thanks!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You obviously didn't read very far down the list, but that's up to you. If you're determined to believe it's hardware and that software isn't a possibility, take it to Apple.

8. dequix thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did, and there are some pretty good tips for those with old MacBook Pros, but mine is only a couple of weeks old. That is why I don't believe it has got something to do with those kind of things. I think it's much more serious, but I just needed some other opinions.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those things have nothing to do with the age of your Mac. They apply to any Mac, regardless of how long you've owned it or how old it is.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Apple has an extended return policy over the holidays. You could exchange the machine for a new one.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you don't think it's a software related problem (ie. low CPU usage and moderately low temps, 50 C is normal) then I'd try to reset SMC. If that still doesn't work, then exchange it.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree

13. Laco macrumors 6502

My fans have been running at 6200 for the past 5 years and I use my computer at least 10 hours a day. I actually miss the noise when I turn off the computer.

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Your MBP is heating your entire room? Unless you live in an exceptionally small room, I just don't see how this is possible.

15. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Check if your vent is being blocked by anything, and see at what temp the fans start to spin above 2000rpm.
    Usually with my MBP 13" when i watch youtube (Flash contents) only at 65degrees and above will the fan speed over 2k.

But i doubt just by watching youtube videos alone will make your fan noise that loud, unless your vent is being blocked pretty bad.