fans and WoW

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by halisray, Aug 3, 2011.

1. halisray macrumors regular

Hey all,

I have a brand new MBP and I play WoW on lowest settings and I am getting 150 fps which is great. But for some reason my fans start going at 6000RPM as soon as I enter WoW and they are kinda loud... is that okay? or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

2. SerrQ macrumors member

SerrQ

Have the 2010 one but.. I think its normal, my fans goes load in every game no matter how the settings are.

Should be pretty similar I believe

3. dsio macrumors regular

Settings don't come into it, the game engine is designed to generate as many frames per second as is possible under all circumstances. It will always use 100% of CPU resources if it can. Playing on low just means you're missing out on better quality graphics, tune it for around 50-60fps and you'll be spot on.

4. brucebuffer macrumors newbie

limit your fps in the settings, and if the laptop isnt getting hot use smcfancontrol to throttle down the fan speed but make sure you watch the temps so it doesnt overheat and shutdown on you.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

This is true
    In addition, WoW triggers the use of the GPU, which kicks the fans on.

6. dsio macrumors regular

And on top of that, WoW won't even let off much if you limit the frame rate, as when you're in a city or raid, any time a character twitches or does something, it gets updated on your client. It is far more CPU dependant than people often think.

7. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I've got SMC and the only throttle/limit you can set it the lower end of the fan settings, not the upper settings. So no need to watch the temps because OS X will still take care of that.

When I play WoW I start SMC and put the fans at 4k rpm. I normally never have the CPU temp go above 80 unless I'm in firelands and then OS X takes the RPM to around 4500 by itself.

8. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

I'd rather not mess around with the fan settings though.

How do i cap my fps in WoW and what should the cap be? Also, I could increase the graphics a bit and see what happens.

I just don't want my fans to break down on me lol, which I know they won't.

9. mdnz macrumors regular

Enable Vsync in the graphics options in WoW, which will lock the FPS to 60, lowering the heat.

10. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

Will 60fps make it slow though?
    I'll give it a go and see if the fans die down a bit

Thanks

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

WoW doesn't spin my fans to 6000 rpm?

Only in very heavy areas with alot of players my fans will go to 6000 rpm, but normally the fans is running pretty low here.

12. mdnz macrumors regular

If you talk about gameplay, 60FPS is silky smooth. I'm not sure if it will lower the fan speed but it's worth trying.

13. dsio macrumors regular

60FPS is the maximum your monitor can display, any more than that and the frames are simply discarded.

14. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

I have my mbp on a stand to let air go on the bottom of it

15. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

So I put vsync on and my fps is a steady 60 and the fans only get loud when I'm in a crowded room so that solves that! What exactly does vsync do other than cap fps at 60? Will it run down my computer more? Put more strain on it? Or is it good for my Mac?

I know nothing of this stuff lol. Please fill me in!!

16. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a