fans are suddenly making wierd noises

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vertigo78, Jul 27, 2009.

1. vertigo78 macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2008
    the other day i wake up and open my macbook pro and immediately heard the fan making noises ive never heard it make before. i checked istat pro. the fans were going at 2000rpm. this is when i started to get concerned since i would never hear the fans at that speed before. the difference was day and night. it sounds like the one or both of the fans are hitting something. i always hear the noise when i start up or wake up from sleep and after a while (30 minutes to an hour) it usually goes away but has come back once without me turning off or putting the computer to sleep. its a refurbished less than a little more than a month ago. im hoping its just some dirt that made it through keyboard and will eventually go away because i dont want to send my machine in to get manhandled by apple repair. has anyone had something like this happen before?
  2. vertigo78 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2008
    btw i have been using smcFanControl. could i possibly had the fans spinning too fast for too long and caused the fans top become dislodged? but it's not like i over use it. only whenever it get too hot to have it on my lap and sometimes when im using windows 7 on boot camp.
  3. pnyc macrumors 6502

May 12, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    If it sounds like the fans are hitting something than the problem might be more serious than dusty fans. I don't think smcFanControl could have caused the problem since you said you haven't abused it.

I would first use a vacuum on the vent opening of your MBP to see if that helps to remove some of the dust. If that doesn't help I would either open up the MBP to see if looking inside can shed some light on what the problem might be or contact Apple to have them take a look at it.