fans are suddenly making wierd noises

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vertigo78, Jul 27, 2009.

1. vertigo78 macrumors regular

the other day i wake up and open my macbook pro and immediately heard the fan making noises ive never heard it make before. i checked istat pro. the fans were going at 2000rpm. this is when i started to get concerned since i would never hear the fans at that speed before. the difference was day and night. it sounds like the one or both of the fans are hitting something. i always hear the noise when i start up or wake up from sleep and after a while (30 minutes to an hour) it usually goes away but has come back once without me turning off or putting the computer to sleep. its a refurbished less than a little more than a month ago. im hoping its just some dirt that made it through keyboard and will eventually go away because i dont want to send my machine in to get manhandled by apple repair. has anyone had something like this happen before?

2. vertigo78 thread starter macrumors regular

btw i have been using smcFanControl. could i possibly had the fans spinning too fast for too long and caused the fans top become dislodged? but it's not like i over use it. only whenever it get too hot to have it on my lap and sometimes when im using windows 7 on boot camp.

3. pnyc macrumors 6502

If it sounds like the fans are hitting something than the problem might be more serious than dusty fans. I don't think smcFanControl could have caused the problem since you said you haven't abused it.

I would first use a vacuum on the vent opening of your MBP to see if that helps to remove some of the dust. If that doesn't help I would either open up the MBP to see if looking inside can shed some light on what the problem might be or contact Apple to have them take a look at it.